Pages

Monday, January 15, 2018

Tip for Tuesday

Do you ever think of using your dishwasher to wash things other than dishes?
As I was taking my dish scrubber out of it the other day, I thought I should share this.  Maybe everyone already knows this one, but it works so well for me, I'm letting you know!

I don't know what type of scrubby you use for dishes, but I like this type that usually comes in blue or green,  They can get pretty disgusting, so I tuck it into the dishwasher about twice a week and it comes out fresh and clean!  I don't use sponges, but I hear you can do the same with them.
Another thing I like to do is to collect all the globes from lighting fixtures and run a load of them.  They come out sparkling and I don't risk breaking them in the sink.
One other unusual thing I occasionally put in the dishwasher is combs.  They look brand new when they're done and it's so much easier than soaking and scrubbing them.
What about you?  Do you wash anything besides dishes in your dishwasher?

15 comments:

Terra said...

I put vases in the dishwasher, clear cut-glass vases upside down, and they come out sparkly. I haven't washed dish scrubbers that way, good idea.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Great ideas! I put anything that wont melt in my dishwasher! Just feel it is cleaner and brighter than washing in the sink.

Changes in the wind said...

Thanks for the tips...

Arlene G said...

I use a Wet It and they recommend putting it in the top rack of the dishwasher to clean it. Snow here today!! I am ready for Spring when I do put lots of my display pieces in the dishwasher for some spring cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Chacos! We wash our chacos in the dishwasher! I'm not sure if it's the proper way, but it makes them look fantastic!

Sally said...

Great ideas, Mari. I don't have a dishwasher any longer, but if I did I'd try these. :)

Hope you're staying warm, and having a lovely day.

xoxo

Aritha said...

I put toothbrushes in the dishwasher and our hair brushes. But also small plastic toys as duplo, lego, playmobil. SUPER! It is also possible to cook in your dishwasher :-)

O and do you have Crog shoes? You can clean your Crog shoes in the dishwasher!

Terri D said...

Yes! I put my kitchen sponges in and the scrubbies too. It's a great way to sanitize.

Karen said...

I put my dish scrubber in, and the stoppers from my kitchen sink. I like your idea of putting globes from light fixtures in there.

Michelle said...

I also put my dish stoppers in there. Most anything that won't melt! lol

Jennifer Hays said...

I always put my sponges and scrubbers in the dishwasher! It keeps them fresh much longer. I also put the sink mats and the dishrack in! I wash everything in the dishwasher. Toothbrush holders and soap dishes from the bathrooms too!

Jenny said...

I put just about anything that's glass in the dishwasher, if it fits, haahaha. Also my dishcloths. I love how fresh they are after a cycle with the dishes. My girls are amazed at this. xoxo

shayndel said...

Good ideas!!
We don`t have a dishwasher, so its not something I think about, but I see you are very creative in finding ways to use it!!

Just a culture note! In Japan, many homes (most i think, though it might be changing and more and more probably do) don`t have dishwashers, or clothes dryers. We dry the clothes by hanging them outside, and for dishes, I suppose we are the `dishwashers!!`, doing them by hand!.

Have a great day!

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow how clever, I never think of putting anything I shouldn't put in the dishwasher but now I will. We have lots of dusty glass light shades.

Laura said...

That's a great idea! I never thought of it! I've also heard you can microwave sponges to get rid of bacteria.