Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2017

What's happening at work...

I haven't posted about work lately and it occurred to me that I haven't shared with most of you that I have a new position there!
My new position is labeled "Quality Nurse Manager".  Some of the things I do, are things I've been doing already, but now they are all listed under this position.

You've probably seen this before, but I'm going to share some pictures of my office, and then will tell you about the job.

Here's the whole room.  The big desk is used by the Doctor and the Physician Assistant when they come.

This is my desk, complete with pictures of the girls and some artwork from them, and also a picture that one of my residents colored for me.

This job is supposed to be no weekends or holidays, but so far I'm still working on the floor quite often because of this chronic nursing shortage.  I'll be working on Thanksgiving as well.  I think it's not all bad though, I would miss that contact with our residents if I never did it, plus it's good to know what the other nurses are dealing with.
My duties in this position are:
Infection control nurse for the facility
Oversee vaccinations (flu, pneumonia and hepatitis shots) for the residents and employees
Oversee TB testing for residents and new employees
Set up and schedule all lab tests for our residents
Work with the Dr and the Physician Assistant 3 days a week
Work with and fill out paperwork for residents going out to Specialty doctors
review charts and make sure that what needs to be done, is done!
talk to family members to update them on their loved ones condition, medication orders...
Complete all end of month paperwork, printing off the new med sheets, treatment sheets...
being the on call nurse manager on certain weekends
lots of miscellaneous paperwork!

I am enjoying it, and have enjoyed the weekends I've had off too.  On the other hand, it can be very stressful and I find I am at work much later than I used to be.  If we ever get enough staff, it would make a huge difference!


19 comments:

Phoebes World said...

Congratulations on the new position... I hope you enjoy it and dont get too stressed
Phoebe x

Sally said...

Good job, Mari! I'm happy for you especially if more people will be hired. Sorry you won't be home on Thanksgiving though.

xoxo

Jenny said...

You have so many responsibilities; it's amazing to me that you cope so well. I do hope though, that you get the help you need, and soon. You shouldn't have to work weekends. And I'm sorry you have to work on Thanksgiving; I know you'll be missed in the family circle. But what a lovely office! That carpeting is beautiful. xoxo

Arlene G said...

A well deserved promotion Mari. Your office is very nice as well!! Hoping you all can get a good staff without shortages...that seems to be a problem everywhere in the nursing world.

Changes in the wind said...

Congratulations. I hope they get the shortages taken care of so that is will go smoother for all.

Doris said...

Congratulations on your new position! I had a huge bulletin board in my office. I filled it with joy...lots of family pictures, treasures from residents, a pic of two chairs on the beach overlooking blue water (that one was a stress reliever!!)......loved it! Staff shortage is always. I remember so well...a Facebook memory came to my feed this morning with that very subject!

Dianna said...

Continuing to pray for that much-needed staff so that you aren't working such long hours and weekends and holidays. Will be thinking of you on Thanksgiving. xx

Karen said...

Congratulations! So many places are shorthanded these days, but it has to be especially hard in the health industry with people's care at stake. Praying for more helping hands for you.

Linda said...

Thank you for the smiles on this snowy Monday.

Beth Cotell said...

Congrats on the new job! I hope they can get some more nurses hired soon to ease the load.

Terri D said...

Congratulations on the new job and the recognition of the good work you have always done! With the expanded facility, I hope new staff will be hired in the near future!! The patients there are blessed to have you overseeing their preventive care!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

You are such a dreamboat Mari! Truly doing God's work as a nurse. And bless you for working extra too. Congrats on the new position and it's easy to see you excel at it. ;)

Sending prayers that you get more nurses to help soon!! Health care always seems to have a shortage - sad to say.

Blessings on your week ahead. xoxo

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Congratulations on the new position, and praying you will get more staff so that you dont have to do much more. You certainly have a big responsibility and they are blessed to have you there.

Cherdecor said...

Do you no longer do the morning pass of meds? And if so, that is a big change. I know that you are loving your job and that is huge!
Congratulations on your new position!

LL Cool Joe said...

What tidy desks too. I like your new title but I'm sure your job is very demanding at times, just visiting my mum in her nursing home and dealing with her for an hour makes me realise how amazing all the staff in the home are. Why is there a staff shortage, I would have thought there were people desperate to work?

Mari said...

Joey - unemployment is very low in the area I live in, so people aren't desperate for work. And pay in health care isn't great, so when you put that together with the stress that comes with the job, weekends, holidays and nights - it makes it hard to find help!

Laura said...

So glad you finally have your new job title - if only you could finally work only that job! Hopefully you'll get more people soon. :)

Just A Southern Girl said...

Congratulations!

Jean said...

Congratulations, Mari! When I get old I want to live in your nursing home!