Pages

Monday, November 20, 2017

Tip for Tuesday

I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I'm still giving a Christmas tip.  I've been working on wrapping gifts and I thought I would show you a few things I do that help me out in tracking and wrapping gifts.

This first thing is something my kids have teased me about for years. They laugh when I pull it out before we open gifts, but I'm lost without it!

I'd be in such trouble getting ready for Christmas without a notebook.  I buy one with dividers and pockets.  It's not very big - about 5"x7".  I start with making lists for all the people I need to buy for.  I also make lists of my family members for stocking stuffers.  I try to be looking for gifts and stocking stuffers all year long.  You never know what you may see.  It seems to be the best way to get bargains or unusual items.
As I purchase things, I write them under the name, so that hopefully I won't start wrapping and find I got an extra gift for someone that I forgot about.


I use the pockets to keep coupons, fliers and gift certificates.  I take this whole book with me when I am shopping all day with my sisters.  It really helps
When I start wrapping, I cross each item off.  It's another way to make sure something isn't forgotten.


Another thing I do while I'm wrapping is to keep the trimmed paper pieces together in a little box.  I try to wrap the bigger gifts first, then all those small pieces work great for stocking stuffers.



And speaking of stocking stuffers...  I keep some extra large lunch bags with my wrapping supplies.  Because I try to do my wrapping early, I am usually doing it before the stockings are out.   So, I write a name on each bag and then line them up on the couch and keep the wrapped stocking stuffers in them, until I can put them in the stockings.
It's so nice to have it ready to go, so when the decorations are up, you don't have to wrap too!

16 comments:

Terri D said...

Whew....and I thought I was organized!! You take the prize and now I will be looking for a notebook for next year (though our gift-giving isn't quite what it was at one time). You are amazing.

jujupage1 said...

Very organized. Its chaos for me!

Joyful said...

You are very organized. I don't use a system as such except for cards since I do those in haphazard manner starting with the international ones first. Since I prepare them a few at a time I would forget who I've sent to unless I write it down. As for gifts, I can keep them straight in my head and if I need a reminder I look at what I've got in bags where I put my gifts before wrapping.

Cherdecor said...

My, my, my! You really have a system going on. You would make a very good nurse!!!! LOL! I bet that it is because of your looking for gifts all year long that lends to such laughter at the Christmas party. I can imagine that you find some very interesting gifts. Love this post.

Dianna said...

I like your notebook idea!Thank you for sharing.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I applaud your organization. I dont buy for many at all, so wouldnt need this, but for those that do, it is a great idea.

Arlene G said...

I love your organizational tips Mari. Those bags with the stocking stuffers is a clever solution to never losing something small that has been purchased for the stockings. I am always losing those small gifts!

Sally said...

I do something similar but not nearly as organized.

xoxo

Linda said...

I like this idea, smiles. I don't have enough buying power to keep a list like this, though, smiles.

Stephanie said...

I think you are very wise, my friend {{smiles}} Thank you for the helpful tips. Have a most blessed Thanksgiving.

Hugs!

Jenny said...

Uhhhh ... eerrrrrrr ... I admit I do make lists. And I do wrap stuff -- in tissue, and stuff everything into dollar-store gift bags, haaahaha. But I do get it all done well before Christmas Day or even Eve. I do believe you take all the cakes and pies too, for being extra organized. I'm still trying to figure out though, why you have to get laughed at for pulling the notebook out right before presents are opened. Do you have a final list, where items get ticked off as they are accepted by the recipient? Surely you don't need the notebook by then? Asking for a friend. Haahaha love ya girl xoxo

LL Cool Joe said...

Blimey you are so organised! How I'd love to be like you, instead of running around like headless chicken worrying about what I need to buy and wrap. ;D

Laura said...

Wish I was as far ahead as you! You are so very organized!

Just A Southern Girl said...

Whoa! That's some serious organization! I like your idea and will have to do some variation of it next year. I'm still getting back into Christmas-in-the-U.S. mode :)

Jean said...

I stand in awe, Mari!! Absolutely beyond my imagination! I am very much a list maker, but Christmas gifts are not even on my radar now, less yet all year long. Somehow I always pull it off. I guess getting Christmas music stuff done has always kept me from concentrating on gifts. I should work on that.

Betty W said...

Hello Mari! I'm finally here again, reading your blog. I love these tips for an organized shopping season.
I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving and that you are well!