Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

TIp for Tuesday

My friend Terri had something on Facebook the other day asking about meal planning.  After seeing that, I thought it would be a good thing to share for a Tuesday Tip.

I've been meal planning for years - I actually have calenders going back about 15 years!  Here is my current calender and last years.  I use these calenders that I get at the dollar store.  They are small and easy to tuck away in the kitchen, or into my purse when I go to the store.
I plan 2 weeks at a time.  On one Friday, I try to buy all the groceries I need for 2 weeks, then the next week I only go back for things like milk, fresh veggies and bread.  I feel that doing 2 weeks saves me time and money.  I don't spend as much time in the store, and buying double of some things gets me a better price.  Then I prep it at the same time, which saves time and mess.
I like to look at my older menu plans, so I keep them around.  It gives me ideas oft hings to make, but it also tells me what was happening on those days a year or more ago.  I find things like birthday party, church dinner, home group, out with friends... written down,  which is fun to look at.
I try to plan my meals according to my work schedule.  For instance, I am always late on Thursday because I do rounds with our Dr.  On that day I plan something in the crock pot or a freezer meal that Bob can throw in the oven when he gets home.  I try to make a nicer meal on my days off, on Fridays we usually go out.  It really doesn't take too long to figure out, but I sure do appreciate it when I'm at work and I don't have to be thinking about what I'm doing for supper that night!
What about you - do you plan your meals?

19 comments:

Joyful said...

Hi Mari, it was fun to read about how you plan meals. I have never been a menu a planner as I'm not a creature of habit. I did try it this new year at last. I found it takes a while to get used to sitting down and planning out the meals and writing it all done but it saves time later in the week. The other plus is that I eat better when I plan my meals and snacks in advance since break and lunch ideas are more difficult. I've gotten out of the routine but need to build up to this good habit again.

Joyful said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

I like the idea of using a calendar book for the planning! I used to - but need to get back to it. It's become too easy to run down to the local cafe in the evening! Thanks for reminding me!

Sola Scriptura said...

You are so organized! This is a motivation for me to start meal planning. Thanks!

Karen said...

I love reading about how other people keep meal plans. I always have, too, but I am always looking for new ideas. I have a spiral notebook that I keep for special menus and holidays. I write down what the menu was and who was there. My memory is so bad, I'm always afraid I'll serve exactly the same thing to the same people all the time.

Thank you for your nice comment about the baby:)

Betsy Brock said...

I plan my meals, too. I make my list on Mondays and shop on Tuesdays. And I like to double the size on some things so we can have a leftover night if I work an auction. Many times I pick up discounted meat at the grocery and plan meals around that ...just look in the freezer and see what is already there.

I like your little calendar!

Mari said...

A very organized way. I think if I got kids, I should do that. Now I 'm just going with whatever my hubs & I can eat in the kitchen. Laziness is prevailing in other words :) But I like the idea of planning meals.

Mari said...

A very organized way. I think if I got kids, I should do that. Now I 'm just going with whatever my hubs & I can eat in the kitchen. Laziness is prevailing in other words :) But I like the idea of planning meals.

Mari said...

A very organized way. I think if I got kids, I should do that. Now I 'm just going with whatever my hubs & I can eat in the kitchen. Laziness is prevailing in other words :) But I like the idea of planning meals.

Unknown said...

I admire you for planning like that. I have to say that I dont. We change our minds so often, it would be a waste in our case. I always enjoy your recipes and try to make some of them.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Great tip Mari!

Right now I mainly shop week to week as I'm really often cooking for 6 people each week (with my in-laws) so I don't have time or room in the cart always for 2 weeks worth. Plus, have I mentioned I have a teenager in the house who eats like...well a teenager!?! Lol


Sometimes I can plan well to cover about a week and 1/2 worth of groceries. But the weekly running is also a good thing to do with my mom-in-law as she enjoys it and keeps our days together busy. ;)

xo

Brooke said...

i try to plan, but have been lazy as of late.

Kerin said...

Good tips here!
I used to be more diligent with menu planning, and shopping lists when our kids were all home.
Now that it's usually just the two of us, we often find ourselves eating more simple meals that don't require much in the way of preparation.
Soup and sandwiches, or a salad :)

Have a happy day.

~K.

Amy at love made my home said...

I have been planning meals in advance for some time now and agree with all that you said, saves time and money and is nicer as you don't end up having the same things all the time because you plan so you vary things around more. xx

Cherdecor said...

I'll have to share your idea with Chad. Tonight he made rabbit over toast with mushroom gravy. Alan thinks he should put it on a calendar like this to remind him to never make it again!!! Ha! Ha!

Jenny said...

Yes I plan. I start planning at about noon what I will do for that night, haahaha. Then I often ask TG to go to the store on the way home, to pick up half the ingredients. It works for us. I plan better when there's an occasion of some sort. You're so organized Mari, you should teach home economics! xoxo

Terri D said...

Well, I don't plan but know that I should. Your tip is amazing, Mari. Now, if I can only discipline myself....

Sweet Tea said...

I plan two weeks at a time also. Sure wish I had kept my meal plans - what a nice idea.

Laura said...

I learned this from you. I always print out a blank calendar for the month and hang it inside the cupboard door. I only do a week at a time though, some day I'd like to do a month at a time, but not right now! It is helpful to look back on past months though!