Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Tip for Tuesday

I saw this tip on facebook last week and tried it this weekend. The tip said that if you have a can of something thick, like tomato paste, to punch a few holes in the bottom of the can before you open it.  The air pressure will help it to come out of the can easily.

This weekend, I was making a taco dip that used a can of refried beans, and I thought it was worth a try. I keep a small hammer and a package of nails in my kitchen junk drawer, so I cleaned the nail, and punched a few holes as you can see in the picture.
I opened it and flipped it over and was amazed!  The refried beans, which usually require some effort to get out,  immediately slid out of the can!
This is a tip that works, and I'll be using it again.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always liked handy ideas, and this is surely one. I want the easy way out! lol Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

Sounds like a winner!

Jean said...

Well, how about that?? Wish I had known that yesterday, haha!

Betsy Brock said...

Wow...I'm trying that!

I've done your butter softening trick several times already...so much better than the way I was doing it! Yay!

White Lace and Promises said...

My mama taught me that when I was still at home. It's the best way to get cranberry sauce to slide out! I never would have guessed it with refried beans. Good deal!

Hootin Anni said...

Well I'll be darned. Live and learn. I will hopefully remember this great tip.

Now, 'bout that taco concoction? Delicious was it?

Terri D said...

Well, ditto Anni and everyone else! What a neat idea that I hope I remember! Will you share the recipe?

Sola Scriptura said...

What an interesting tip! Thank you for testing this and telling us about it :)

Jennifer Hays said...

I had heared about this but wasn't too sure if it would work. I'm glad you tried it and it did! Thanks for sharing.

Jenny said...

That's cool! Thanks, Mari. xoxo

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

That's one I've never heard of before - great tip Mari! Will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Brooke said...

i frequently cook with refried beans, tomato paste, and sauce. i'll have to try it. thanks for the tip!

Mari said...

Yeah, I guess I've seen my aunt doing it for some reason I didn't understand as a kid. Now I think I do.

Amy at love made my home said...

Wow, how cool is that! xx

sara said...

that is a GREAT tip!

Bethany Carson said...

Thanks for passing the tip on to us!

Cherdecor said...

I buy canned cranberries all the time and have used this method of getting them out. I never thought of it as a tip because I did it out of sheer frustration one day and found that it worked so have done it since. I never thought about doing that to the tomato paste or sauce. I will have to try that. Thanx, Mari.

Doris said...

Great tip...hope I remember to do it next time I need to get something out of a can =) Nice to know it works!