Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Seeing apples in my sleep...

Do you remember me telling you about all the apples on my Dad's trees this year?  This past week it was time to do something with them.  Dad brought lots and lots of them to my sister Cheri's house and we tackled them there.


Here's Cheri, hard at work, cutting apples.
 

We used this strainer that allows you to cook the apples with the skin on, then when you run them through here, the skin is separated.  It saves a lot of apple, and lots of time too!
 

Cheri had this wonderful set up - the stove was saved for cooking apples, and out on her deck was the canner, run by propane.  It helped keep the kitchen cool too.
 

Here's some of the finished product.  We ended up with over 40 quarts.  Lots of work, but worth it in the end!

18 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

great minds....I was up to my elbows in apples, too! Apple butter for me...smelled wonderful, but a lot of work! ha.

Susan said...

Lots of good eating. I love applesauce.

Our photos said...

That's nice that you see apples in your sleep.
Greetings, RW & SK

Cheri said...

Wow, lots of work but like you saay worth it in the end. Smart idea doing it the way you did too. I would be talking apples in my sleep. Have a great week.
Cherifrommission

Hootin Anni said...

Catching up on what I've missed the last few days...

Your winner of the book, Jenny...how wonderful for her. I hope she'll write about it on her blog. And your pumpkins/mums in the previous post are so beautiful. Makes Fall even more pretty all around you. As for the apples. I remember mom doing just the same as this each and every year. You go girl!!!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, I can almost smell the apples cooking. It is a lot of work, but well worth it.

Cheri said...

It was a lot of worth- but a fun day doing it with you :)

Marsha Young said...

Wow! Beautiful work and beautiful results!

Terri D said...

Good job, you two!! That sauce will taste so good this winter. Yum.

Linda said...

Yummy!! Thanka for sharing the wonderful pictures! Blessings

Linda said...

**THanks, lol

Anonymous said...

I think it's very appropriate that I'm eating an apple while reading this blog, haha!

Jennifer Hays said...

Wow, that was a lot of work. You'll be so glad you did it this winter, though. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Lots of work, but oh it all looks so good.

Nancy said...

Looks like you two make a great team....You are going to enjoy having these apples when it's cold outside.....

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm allergic to uncooked apples, strange I know, but I do love them, which is frustrating!

You've been working hard!

Jean said...

Oh, that looks SO good!!! I miss making applesauce.

Jenny said...

Hard work but delicious results. My mother-in-law used to put up applesauce that way and my kids were wild about it. I myself do not can anything, LOL.