My friend Sarah, over at Short Stop did a fun little Meme today. It's all about being a Mom and things you know now, that you didn't before you had kids. I loved hers and thought I would share some of the things I've learned since I became a Mom about 25 years ago!
1. Before my kids were born, I had no idea how what a tough job motherhood is. I soon found out that it is a 24-7 job and babies don't allow breaks or nights off!
2. I found out that my parents were a lot smarter than I thought they were. I now know that they knew more about what was happening in my life than I thought, and I'm so much more impressed with the way they handled my siblings and I.
3. Your child may be a perfect angel all day, but at the time you really need them to behave or you are trying to show them off, they will become a monster!
4. When my kids were young, I remember my Dad telling me to enjoy them because they grow up so fast. You know, that's one of those things you hear a lot - the fact that they grow up fast. When you are in the middle of feedings, diapers, toys strewn all over, it doesn't seem fast. I did enjoy my kids when they were little, but oh how true it is - time really does fly. Now I wish I could go back and hold them, play with them, read to them... for just one more afternoon.
5. Once you are a Mom, you will always worry. I was told by a young woman who was expecting her first child that she couldn't wait for the baby to be born so she could quit worrying. I understood what she meant, but I did think, that really, the worrying was just beginning. You worry when they are sick, when they start school, when they have problems with other kids, when they are late... It's a good thing I know that God takes better care of them than I do and I can trust him to watch them!
6. You will never know how much you can love someone until you are a Mom. The love you have for your child is a different type of love than you have for your husband, sibling, parent or friend and that is what helps you through those sleepless nights, the worry, the work and anything else that comes along. It is a true blessing to be a Mom and something I wouldn't give up for anything!