Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Up North; Day 2

On our second day, we drove to Petoskey, MI; about 1 1/2 hours north of Traverse City.


We stopped at a roadside park along the way, to check out Lake Michigan.




We found another great barn!




Then we went to the Maple Moon Sugarbush and Winery.  They make wine from fermented maple syrup.  They also make maple syrup, jams, jellies, salsa and a lot of different seasonings.




We did a wine tasting which was fun!




When we got back in the car, we saw another beautiful barn.




Petoskey is a beautiful city with a large shopping area.  We did some shopping and had lunch at a fun little sandwich and pizza shop where the owner makes everything homemade - even the catsup and mustard!



Then we drove to the city of Charlevoix.  This mural was painted on one of the buildings.




This is the channel that goes into the city.




Charlevoix is another charming city on Lake Michigan.  We walked around the shopping area and walked to the pier.




One thing Charlevoix is best known for is the Earl Young houses; otherwise known as Hobbit houses, mushroom houses or gnome homes.  He designed and built 28 of these houses in Charlevoix, all built in the 1920's.  Here is one of the smallest ones.




This is one of the largest homes; although he did do a few businesses too.



This is a hotel he built along the channel.



When we got back to the condo, we took a little walk along the lakeshore.  It was another fun day!

15 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Gorgeous scenery and I love love the mushroom houses!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! What a great trip! I love those Earl Young houses. How interesting they are. The food sounds delicious too. It's so nice you and Bob could make this trip with your sister and her husband. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures!

Debby said...

Sounds like some places I’d love to visit. The Earl Young houses are so cool. Beautiful barns, charming main streets, water views, murals, and a unique winery! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The Hobbit buildings are amazing! And your barn photos are always so beautiful. I love the way the mural integrates the real door into the scene!

Susan said...

Hi Mari, your get away looked like it was fun! I never heard of those houses before. I bet the food was great at the places you visited. All the pictures were great from both days! Thanks for sharing!

Catherine said...

Wouah! What a beautiful place! Charlevoix sounds French . It is really worth visiting and the houses are so beautiful

Phoebes World said...

Wonderful photos Mari... what a fabulous trip. I really love the Hobbit houses
Thanks for sharing x

Prims By The Water said...

Never knew about those houses. Interesting. I love Petoskey, but never been to Charlevoix. There are many charming towns up there. Suttons Bay is beautiful too. Janice

http://peacefulheartopenmind.blogspot.com/ said...

beautiful pictures. If you ever want to really go up north, come to the UP!

Dianna said...

I enjoyed seeing all of the barns... and those Hobbit houses are so adorable. I know you were in northern Michigan...were you anywhere close to Allouez?

Jeanette said...

Some of my favorite places to visit in Michigan! Funny that as many times as I have been to Charlevoix I have never seen a Hobbit house!

Chatty Crone said...

I feel I took the trip with you - good thing because I would love to see it, but I probably will not be able to see all that in person. We are from Chicago and have seen Lake Michigan, but it is not like this. Love the mural and the mushroom houses.

Barbara said...

Hobbit or mushroom houses -- I had not heard of them before seeing this post. How clever and fanciful! Looks like a wonderful trip!

Question: do large lakes (like Lake Michigan) have tides that come in twice a day, like the oceans?

Sparky said...

Yum, wine tasting. I enjoy doing that too. There's a really cool winery in the Texas Hill Country called Sister Creek. They had the best dry white wine I've ever tasted. It was like butter on my tongue. I wish we could get that here in Georgia.
Wonderful photos. Y'all live in a beauty spot for sure. 💙

HappyK said...

Interesting looking houses. I like the smaller stone one.
What beautiful scenery.