Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Sisters Shopping Trip

Every year I go on a Christmas shopping trip with my sisters Terri and Cheri.  (We get teased about our rhyming names - Mari, Terri and Cheri)  Anyway, we've been doing this for at least 30 years.
We shop all day, stay in a hotel at night and sometimes end up doing a little more on Saturday.  We have a great time together, it's a good time to catch up and there is never a shortage of laughter!
This year we started with something a little different.  I'm getting to the point of finishing a lot of my Dad's things, as far as being a trustee of his estate.  He left money to a few places; the schools we attended and his church.  We thought it would be nice to deliver those checks in person.  It was a touching thing to do together.
After we made those stops, we started shopping. 
By 11:30, we stopped for lunch.

Here's Terri and Cheri at City BBQ where we has some really good salads.




Then it was back to shopping.

By 4:45 we thought we were doing pretty good and stopped for supper.
We went to Olive Garden - always good!
Then we checked into our hotel.



We haul our packages up to the room, so we can sort them and check things off the list.  We remarked that our packages are much smaller than they used to be when we were going to Toy's R Us and buying kids toys!



Here's Terri and Cheri, going over their lists and checking things off.
As happens quite often, we found things on there that we had forgotten.  So, we headed back out again!





We came back, talked, laughed and ate our take out dessert.



Terri had plans the next day, but Cheri and I headed to Rockford, about 30 minutes from us.  They were having a special Christmas event in town.



We checked out the dam.  They didn't make the picture but there were 4 guys fishing, just below the dam.



There was a big craft show that we wandered around in.



They had a "Polar Express" train was driving around giving kids rides.







The center of town was all decorated, it felt like a Hallmark movie!




We had lunch in a restaurant called The Toasted Pickle.  It was in a cool old building.

After that is was time to head home.
We had so much fun!  And my shopping is done for the most part, but the wrapping is just beginning!


22 comments:

16 blessings'mom said...

Aww, love that you three have such a good time together, seems like so much fun. :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a fun tradition for the three of you! And your hotel room looks really nice. Such yummy looking food! So did any of you buy anything for yourselves?

Deb J. in Utah said...

This is a great holiday tradition. It's so cool that you all get along well and had such a nice weekend. :-)

Kim said...

It looks like such a fun trip and how sweet that you delivered the checks in person. That must've made you girls feel a little closer to your dad, too, on your family overnight.

Terri D said...

I was telling my sister, Patti, about your annual shopping trip. We agreed that it would be lots of fun, but she is in Ohio, Tammy is in Georgia, and I'm in Florida. We can dream about it, anyway. I'm glad you had such a good time and are nearly done with the shopping - before Thanksgiving!! Welcome home!! xo

Suemn said...

It looked like you and your sisters had really nice weather for your shopping trip. How fun!

R's Rue said...

So much fun

Phoebes World said...

Oh how lovely and what a fab time you had.
Thank you for sharing your photos... I cant wait to start the Christmas festivities..including all the shopping and wrapping x

Dianna said...

What a blessing to read about you and your sisters delivering the checks to the schools you attended and your dad's church. It brought tears to my eyes. Such a sweet gesture.

I always enjoy hearing about your annual Christmas shopping trip. I ordered the majority of mine this year and it arrived last week one day and I went ahead and wrapped everything the next day. The guy who lives here may be in his 70s but he still isn't beyond peeking if he gets a chance. :)

Glad you had a good weekend!

Jenny the Pirate said...

WHAT a grand old time! I am always a little jealous of your annual weekend with Terri and Cheri. Of my three sisters (One whole, two halves, hahaha), only one of them has anything to do with me and she would never do that particular adventure with me. Not sure why, hahaha ... am I obnoxious? Anyhoo, I had to look up The Toasted Pickle. I'm having the Full Monte Cristo (you knew I would), and TG isn't here but since I know what he'd want, I'll get the Full Cuban for him. I hope they'll give me an extra pickle ... what are you and Bon having??? xoxo

Sola Scriptura said...

What a fun tradition! Do you remember how the tradition was started? My sisters and I had a yearly tradition of making tons of cookies together and then giving them to everyone we knew. Sadly, we stopped the tradition once we all had babies and could no longer find the time for mass production baking.
I’m sure it was both emotionally hard and a blessing to deliver those checks on behalf of your dad.

Happy@Home said...

How fun! It is so nice that you have kept this tradition going for so many years. What a great feeling it must be to be mostly done with your shopping. I'm envious.

Sparky said...

Shopping trips with loved ones is the best! Great photos. Bet y'all had a good time.
Blessings. xx

happyone said...

How wonderful that you have sisters to go shopping with. :)
Sounds like lots of fun.
I don't think I could shop that long though! :)

acorn hollow said...

How very fun! It is so nice you are so close. And bonus you have your shopping done.
Cathy

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh how I love and look forward to these posts each year. :) I love that you make this such a fun tradition together. I love seeing the places you go and it's awesome how productive it is too! Love the craft show town with the Hallmark feel. SO sweet! Happy wrapping ahead!! 🎁 😉

Billie Jo said...

I absolutely love this tradition!!!! It is fun, festive, and productive. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing, my friend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a wonderful tradition! I bet if I could do this with my sister or a good friend I might actually enjoy Christmas shopping again! (or for the first time...I've never really "enjoyed" it...just something I have to get done and usually put it off to the last minute.) Your idea is so much better. Sounds like you all had a lot of fun together in the process! Thank you for taking us along for the ride. Blessings!!

Henny Penny said...

That sounds like so much fun! Makes me want to call my sister Shelby and plan a shopping trip. I've probably forgotten how to shop. :)

Catherine said...

It must be such a nice time with your sisters. It is really a good idea.

Mandy said...

I love that you all get to do this each year! I'm sure it just kicks off the holiday season right! Looks like a ton of fun! Good food, good family, and good times!

Prims By The Water said...

What a wonderful tradition you have with your sisters. Speaking of Hallmark, they actually did film a Christmas movie in Holly, MI. I wish I remembered the name of it, but is supposed to air this year. Janice