Pages

Monday, April 13, 2020

More fun at work!

Here's another report from work.
Things are going well.  We actually hired 2 more nurses, who will start next week.  If all goes well, I think we will be all set for nurses.  Thank you to all of you who were praying and checking on me.  It was a rough few months, but God took care of me and the others as well.
We remain healthy.  No residents or staff are sick with Covid 19 or anything else. It could still happen, but we are very thankful that we've made it this far and our residents are healthy and they are happy too.  They miss their families, but we've had lots of window visits, phone calls, facetime visits...
Something new that is happening now is that our doctors can't come in the building.  I have downloaded skype on my phone and will go room to room to do visits, the Dr will be at home and be on his computer.  He will let me know any new orders and will fax his notes over to me.  I'll have to fax info to him prior to the visits.  So, this makes me think that some of my days will be a bit longer!
We continue to get support from the community.  People have been making lots of masks for us.

Some neighbors dropped these at our front door this week.



Several families from my church put their kids to work making cards for our residents. They loved them!


I've told you we've been trying to do fun things every week for the residents.  Here's a few things we did this week.

One day we did post it note day.  People could put up notes for anyone they wanted to.  Here are a few notes I found in my room.  The best thing was that notes were put in residents room, on their wheelchairs...   It was fun!

Another thing we did that was worked on for most of the week was a door decorating contest.  Lots of people joined in, and on Friday the residents and staff voted for a favorite.
(Warning  - lots of pics)

 You are my sunshine - on a residents door.



 Bugs and viruses - housekeeping



Spring flowers - Medical Data Entry office


 Be a Rainbow!  Assistant Director of Nursing



 The Tigers baseball - Our Director of Nursing is a huge fan.



Flying High with Activities


 Now Playing - Quarantine 2020 - Business Office Manager



 You are Essential - Administrator



Every flower has to grow through a little dirt - Dietary Services


Falling in Love with You! (each raindrop has a residents name on it) - Admissions


Operation! - Infection Control Nurse/Unit Manager.  (that's me)

These were so fun!  I thought some people were so creative.  The winner was - me!  No prize, it was just for fun.


One other fun thing this week was a little gift I got from a resident.  I love to fool around and tease the residents and I often bop them on the head with a clipboard if I'm walking near them.  Apparently when our Administrator was decorating her door, this resident insisted on taking the cardboard tube that her paper had been on. The next day she told me she had something for me.

Here's the tube with my name on it.  She said I can now bop people but keep the 6 foot distance.
So - you see we are still having fun at our place.  However, I hope that it isn't too long before people can come back to visit!

19 comments:

Terra said...

I am glad you are finding some light moments and laughter, and I like the bopper someone made for you. We are becoming so modern, me using Zoom and you using a computer so the doctor can work from home since he isn't allowed in the facility. Some of these changes will stay after the crisis. Maybe not your tube bopper, haha.

Terri D said...

Awww... how darn cute that you got a head-bopping tube so you can stay at the proper distance and still bop people on the head! I have a feeling your door won as much for them liking you best as it was to the fun creativity! Congratulations on keeping the nasty C-19 away.

Deb J. in Utah said...

You are doing such a great job Mari. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe and well. :-)

Joyful said...

So glad to hear you are getting the staffing situation sorted and also glad to hear that none of the residents where you work are ill. It is such a concern once one gets the virus in a care home. God bless. xx

Kerin said...

Cute doors, and a cute ways to add cheeriness to the facility!
Good to know that everyone is healthy, and that you have the staff that is needed.


~Smiles :)

K.

Linda said...

((big big grin)) I am so glad that this virus hasn't hit your nursing home, here, in Hornell, we have had 5 deaths. It is running rampant in the two nursing homes here. No citizen outside the nursing homes, just the nursing homes.

I hope you have a beautiful day and shameful behavior from your governor, shameful.sigh

Changes in the wind said...

What a wonderful place your residents live at!! Such creativity and fun and caring for all. Loved the door decorating:) and how clever your tube was.

Judy said...

Oh I'm so glad you're doing fine and it looks like you all are keeping your spirits up. What a fun place to work.

Arlene G said...

How wonderful Mari...as the infection control nurse I know you are doing a happy dance! Love all the doors. I bet a lot of nurses would prefer the doctor on the computer.lol Take care.

Doris said...

Those doors are amazing! Not surprised you won, it's so creative. I hope you don't ever get the virus in your facility. It's everywhere here. SO hard on staff, residents, family members.

Michelle said...

Glad to hear the staffing has been sorted out and that all seems well. That is really something to be thankful for!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I love the bright cheery attitude you're all keeping Mari! It's such a trying time. We had a local assisted living place get hit pretty hard and a big majority of residents have become sick with it. Three have died already. Any of those many vulnerable resident places like yours I'm especially afraid for and pray protection for all the time! 🙏 Keep up the sunny attitude and great faith dear Friend. Blessings on the rest of your week. 🙏 ❤️

Kim said...

I love the way your home is reacting to what's going on in the world. It seems like a very cheerful place to be. That's wonderful that everyone is healthy...but so odd that the doctors can't come in. Around here, it's the same though. No doctors will see you. My niece had a medical emergency, the ER was overwhelmed so they handled it at the doctor's office, but they took blood and injected her with the CT scan dye in her car! So crazy. Stay safe and keep smiling over there. I think it helps!

Susan said...

That is cool how they are decorating and I laughed at the Operation door! Stay safe!

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm glad you are all safe and well and long may that last!

I love all the doors, what a creative idea and they must have taken hours to do. Your Operation one is very clever, and made me smile!

Hootin Anni said...

Love love LOVE the head bopper! And my favorite door decoration is the raindrops...sorry...but, never did like the game, Operation. Lol

Laura said...

I love all the doors. And I love your 6 foot bopping tube - so funny!

Annie said...

Love your head bopper! :)

What a fun idea to have a door decorating contest. They all are so cute!

I'm so glad things are improving for you at work!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Awww you won the contest! I would've picked your door to win too, although the clever ticket office would've been my runner-up. You can be a proper bopper with your new tube! Haaaahahaha xoxo