Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2020

A little appreciation, a little frustation and a little humor!

First - a little appreciation:
The staff at my facility have had so much appreciation shown to us recently.  I thought I would show you a few nice things that have been done.

 These are shots of our online chart system.  They've added little phrases that are different each time you click in - from We Appreciate you, to Thanks for rising to the challenge...


Kids and adults have been making cards for our residents and for us.  The big one with the grapes is a full sheet of poster board that was brought by one of our families, and with it they brought a smoothie for each staff member.

A local church collected money and gave each staff member a gift certificate to a local restaurant, along with a note that said they were praying for us.


An Italian restaurant about 20 minutes from us brought big pans of lasagna, salad and garlic bread for us.  This was actually featured on our local Fox news as a positive news story, in the middle of all the sad Covid 19 news.

That brings me to the frustration:
We were also on another news station, this one not so nice.  Our state is doing extra inspections of nursing homes because of Covid  Other states have stopped inspections, because if even the doctors shouldn't be coming into the facilities, it doesn't seem like inspectors should be going from place to place, but they are in Michigan.  They have been going in and doing a special inspection on Infection Control.  Since I'm the Infection Control Nurse, it's stressful for me.  We passed the whole Infection Control program, but got a citation because we are wearing fabric masks and people were adjusting them.  I do agree that the masks should fit tightly and not need adjusting, but at the time they came they were not even required and we had just been told to start wearing them.  Everyone was trying to get used to wearing them and how to adjust them so they stay where they are supposed to.  We already had education in process to train on this, along with all the other new education we've been doing because of Covid.
I know the inspections are needed but I feel that instead of always picking at things, they should give ideas on how things could be done better, and focus on serious infractions.
Anyway - apparently our Governor gave out this information to the media, so a local news station did a story on area nursing homes listed.  Our Administrator gave a statement but they didn't use it, and it always ends up sounding worse than it actually is.  They focused on some other places that had bigger issues, so that saved us a bit but we were still mentioned.
I just wish that once someone would do a story on the  staff that love the residents, the aides that don't have much money themselves, but buy things for the residents because no one else does, the kitchen staff that make special treats for people because they know it will bring a smile, the housekeeping staff who sing with and hug the residents, the nurses who come back on their time off to check on someone or spend their break sitting with someone who is lonely instead of going off the floor and relaxing.  I have seen all this and more.  If you have never worked in this type of setting you will never understand the bond that is built, but it's hard to see that side of things, but then so frequently see negative things posted in the media, especially now with all the extra that is being done to keep those residents safe and happy.
Enough of that! I need to just focus on the appreciation I talked about earlier.  It tells me that although the media often focuses on the negative (in many things), people do see good things.

On to the humor!
If you are on facebook with me, you may have seen this, but I thought it was cute!

I looked into the back yard the other day and saw this ball.  It had been quite windy and blew over.  I just thought it was funny that it ended up with the face looking right at our windows.  
I said something about reporting it for breaking quarantine, but people said I should let it run free - since none of us can!

15 comments:

Debi said...

I'm so sorry that your facility was singled out for such a minor infraction. It seems like inspectors always have to find something wrong... no place can be perfect. I hope things get better for you soon. Stay safe and well...

Susan said...

So many nice gestures from the community! Sad that someone has to nit pick and share it. I applaud your staff and will pray for you. God bless you and those that serve others in love!

Arlene G said...

GRRR for unnecessary inspections. After reading your blog for years I know how you work your hardest to make your facility as clean as possible. Marvin and I were talking about masks and gloves and I said I was glad I was trained about them as a nurse as I see so much cross contamination. In this situation as long as they cover your nose and mouth, just be happy with that. Also be happy if you even have masks to wear. But KUDOs to the kind people who have stepped up to encourage you in your care for the most vulnerable.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Mari - you are a frontline hero in this whole COVID-19 mess. God bless you for all you are doing. I hear and totally understand your frustration. In my book, you and all who work with you are awesome, loving caregivers. Hope the coming week is a good one for you.

Unknown said...

That was so unfair, masks are few and far between even for hospitals & nursing homes, people all over the country have been making masks for doctors and nurses. You are all doing tremendous work. I think your governor is trying to distract from the bad publicity she’s gotten lately.

Hootin Anni said...

A whole new movie...and title it Spyball!! Its favorite drink...dry martini, rolled (not stirred).

Ya, the media always focuses on the negative! It's a downright shame. Loved seeing the cards. But, for some reason I didn't get my smoothie! Maybe next time?

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I have never worked in a nursing facility but I have worked in the hospital and know a little of what you are talking about as far as workers spending time with the patients, etc and I applaud you and your staff. Picking at little things when there is so much more important is ridiculous. The ball at the end is hilarious and brings a smile to my face. Hope things are good this Monday.

Linda said...

Fake news is just spreading everywhere, sigh...so sorry Mari this happened. Loved the cards and art work, such talent. I hope you have a lovely week ahead, my friend.

Sally said...

I'm glad y'all are appreciated as you should be. So nice of those family members who sent artwork to cheer you up. And, the food such a nice gesture also. :)

Negativity is rampant though, and it's a dicey situation. I try to ignore it as much as possible. Sometimes, it isn't easy. :(

I hope you haven't had to work as many hours as you were there for a while. And, that you're able to get rest when possible.

xoxo

Terri D said...

I'm so sorry your facility was singled out like that. I know it is not on the same level, but when I worked at the museum we would get inspectors who were nit-pickers and would never leave without finding some little thing to cite us with. Maddening. Focusing on the good is the best way to move forward! I applaud you and your staff for keeping the infection away!!

Beth said...

Sorry about the press. It does seem they are focusing way too much on the negative and have even helped cause panics. I just saw on the news today (which I usually don't watch) that another meat plant shut down because of workers having COVIC-19. So of course they had to say that there is going to be a meat shortage and showed empty bins in the grocery stores (probably taken during the first panic they helped cause). Well, I can just see people rushing the meat aisles and making true the news' prediction!
So glad you are getting so much positive outpouring of appreciation. We all need that. I posted about my grandson ending up in children's hospital in Fort Worth with 2 broken bones during this craziness. My daughter couldn't say enough good things about the staff and how great they were through it all.

Doris said...

I totally understand. You all are heroes....God bless you for giving so much of yourselves each and every day.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

LOve love love the good bits in your post Lovie. But feel for you so much about the news issue with the inspection. I couldn't agree with you more...and you know I was in that in environment working for many years - so I completely understand your frustration. Just ridiculous they're even doing them right now!! Geesh. I think you, and all of your co-workers, are angels and doing incredible work. Just know you're thought about, appreciated, and prayed for daily!! 🙏 ❤️

Jean said...

I'm so sad that you were reported for something like that with no chance to explain. I do indeed wish a reporter would take the time to tell all the good things. If I knew a reporter I would send her your way! I love how much you all care for your residents, and I love that you are being appreciated by so many. God bless all of you!!

Jenny the Pirate said...

The "news" outlets always have to sensationalize in order to keep people tuned in and clicking. People LOVE bad news. So many -- the ones who matter -- know all of the sacrifices that are made by staff for your residents. Although I've never done anything remotely like what you do, I know that while the bad we do and the mistakes we make seem to be written in stone, the good that we do is written in the sand. Thus shall it ever be. But God knows who does what, and why! xoxo