Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Day in my Life

It's March!  For a month that only has 28 days, February seemed long.
Here's how I spent the first day of March.

 I left for work about 7:10 and was greeted with this sunrise!

I started at 7:30.   One of the first things I do every day is go onto our pharmacy website and check for notifications of meds that the insurance company isn't going to cover.  It's really quite frustrating. They can cover something for months, and then suddenly it isn't covered.  Then I have to fill out paperwork explaining why the patient needs it, or talk to the Dr if there is something else that is covered and will work.  There is usually one or two of these a week.  On Friday there was one, so I got the paperwork printed off and filled out for the Dr to sign, and faxed it to him.

 This is a fun little pad of awesome citations that I picked up somewhere.  I try to put these out anonymously every once in a while.  I stuck one on someone's door so they would find it when they came to work. (They don't read this, so they won't know where it came from!)

I also print off all the orders and nurses notes from the last day so we can go over them, I check the nurses on both wings to make sure all is going well.

We have a managers meeting at 9:30 - Director of Nursing, Unit managers, Administrator, Social Worker,  Dietician, Activities Director, Maintenance, Admissions Coordinator.  We review any issues, potential admissions, Insurance cuts, infections, falls...  This lasts until about 10:30.

One of my jobs is Infection Control.  I track all infections - did they come in with it, or develop it after they came?  What type of bug, where was it, what antibiotic was used, is anyone on isolation precautions, are there any trends indicating it is being spread in the building?  It's all put together into monthly sections and kept in a book for the year.  On this day, I started wrapping up February, so it could be reviewed with the other managers next week.
It's been very busy - one nurse had a surprise surgery, another fell and broke her wrist so I've had to work extra on the floor.  That meant that my 40 hours were done by 2pm and I had to leave early, which didn't bother me at all!

 I went to Meijer to pick up a few groceries.

 And then had a manicure!

Here's the drive back home.  After that pretty sunrise, it got quite cloudy out.

I got home at 4 and Bob arrived shortly after.

 Bob and I went out to the Outback for supper and had a yummy meal!

Then we went and picked up Alaina and Ruby for an overnight stay.

Remember the playhouse?  We picked up some artificial flowers and put them in the window boxes.  After we got them in, I went to take a picture of Bob and the girls and they wanted a "crazy" picture.

 I had picked up some fun things for the playhouse so the girls were checking them out.  Here's Ruby in a chef hat and apron...

And Alaina with a cash register.

The girls had something for me too!  Alaina drew the bird picture and made me a necklace.  Ruby made a necklace too - the one with the yellow beads.  So sweet!

 Alaina had to show us something new she learned - the Macarena!  Do you remember that craze?  She did it pretty well.

Then they asked Alexa to play disco music and did a little dance.  I have no idea where they even heard of disco music, but they had fun.

They settled down to watch a movie, and I made this stew, because I knew the next day was going to be busy.  When I got it going in the oven I joined them.
We had a nice evening together.  The girls wen to bed about 9:30, I went around 11.
Such a nice day.  Welcome March!


Joyful said...

My Mari! you certainly had a busy March 1st. I hope things slow down a bit for you.

Arlene @Nanaland said...

Those girls are just precious. I always enjoy seeing them on your blog.

Dianna said...

Mari, I do not know how you do all you do when it comes to your job. You have quite a lot of responsibility. Praying for you, my friend.

Loved seeing the girls and Bob with their crazy picture with the playhouse. :) And, of course, I can't forget about the pictures of them dancing. SO cute!

Have a good night's rest. xx

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

You are certainly busy at work with so much responsibility. Looks like fun with the girls as always. Hoping the new week is good to you.

Changes in the wind said...

What a wonderful sunrise!! Love the awesome citation pad, what a encouraging thing to do. Love the little playhouse pictures and all having fun. I remember pictures way back when Ruby was little and not happy to stay over and look at her now having such fun. Their smiles are infectious:)

Betsy Brock said...

What an action packed day! I'm sure you slept well that night!

Terri D said...

Thank you and all the nurses and nurses aides for all the amazing good work you do for our loved ones!

Those girls are adorable!! Love that playhouse and disco IS fun!! Just silly enough to cause laughter and fun!

Jenny said...

Girl, as usual you leave the rest of us in the dust! Now, that picture of Bob boogeying made my day and you can tell him so. I laughed out loud. I hope it was the Bee Gees he was jiving to. Love me some Bee Gees but PLEASE don't bring back the macarena ... haaahahaha ... Also ... that stew! WOW! You're a diamond, mate ... xoxo

Sally said...

You're such a busy lady, Mari. I know you're appreciated!

Those little girls are so very precious. I'm really enjoying seeing them grow; always so darn cute. And, look at Bob dancing too. How fun.


Michelle said...

I work in a primary school but I think you might have me beat for the crazy workload! Whew!

Kim said...

You are busy from dust to dawn and taking care of people all the way through. It was nice to see that you took time out for yourself with nails and a romantic meal! A little recharge before you welcomed the girls. :)

Cherdecor said...

Hey look!!!! In your first picture of the sunrise, there is a sun pillar....a vertical shaft of light above the sun! The first time I saw one of those was in Mt. Joy PA. I was leaving the grocery when I looked up. I wanted to squeal! Spectacular! This one came from the sunset. Yours was from the sunrise. It doesn't take much to excite me.

I so understand your frustrations with medicines being covered by insurance or not. My frustration for the last couple of months has soon as I get home with my prescription for blood pressure, Losartan Potassium, I either get a letter in the mail, or a phone call from Kroger, or a news alert on the TV that Losartan has been recalled. It has happened every month for 3 months. Even the pharmacists are starting to bad mouth the company who makes the pill.
I have to keep checking the lot number.....then the company adds another lot number recall. Thankfully the lot number has never been the one that I have. Now I get my BP medicine free! Hahaha!

When I saw that you got a manicure, that confirmed my thinking that you live a well balanced life. I have never had a manicure from a shop. I went to Walmart last week and bought gelatin capsules. I am still trying to grow nails.

There is never a dull moment when you have those girlies around. I can see that they are doing their part in keeping Bob young.

That beef stew looks very yummy! Yesterday I made a meatloaf and took half of it to my neighbor. Her sister died last night so I am going to bake a cake for her today because she will have lot of visitors at her house.

This was a great post, Mari. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Vintage Girl 901 said...

The girls are soooo cute! I miss my nursing home work. It's hard and I don't think I can do it anymore, but I loved those days...when I was younger. Oh my! But my heart is always drawn to them!