Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Cooking Thursday

I tried a new recipe last week.  It's one you can make ahead and have in the freezer, which I love!
It's called Johnny Marzetti, and I have no idea where that name came from, but Bob and I really liked it.  It reminded me of pepper steak, but made with ground beef.

Johnny Marzetti
1 pound cooked ground beef
½ cups diced onion
16 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon or 1 cube beef bouillon
1 ½ cups slice green bell pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Sugar
4 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
8 ounces cook egg noodles
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Stir together beef, onion, tomatoes, garlic powder, beef bouillon, bell pepper, soy sauce and sugar.  Place in airtight container and freeze.

Place container in refrigerator one day before serving.
Cook egg noodles as directed on package.
While they are cooking, simmer meat mixture on stove top.
Once it begins to simmer, stir in mix of corn starch and water.
When noodles are done, stir cheddar cheese in with them till it melts.
Serve noodles topped with meat.

10 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

That sounds like a good one!

Arlene G said...

My mother in law made this dish. they called it Johnny Musetti but it is the same recipe!:) With a family of six kids, four of them boys this recipe was a winner.

Terri D said...

I grew up on this! We called it Johnny Marzetti. I think my mom used a can of tomato soup in hers, too. Good comfort food!!

http://ohiothoughtsblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/johnny-marzetti-recipe-and-history.html

Now I want some!!

Linda said...

YUMMY!!! Smiles

Beth Cotell said...

This looks really good! Thank you for sharing!

Kerin said...

Looks delish.
This is "new to me" recipe; so thanks for sharing!

Warm wishes.
~K.

Sally said...

Oh yes, I need to make this, Mari! You come up with the best recipes. When you mentioned placing it in the fridge until the next day, it reminded me that I actually love spaghetti left overs. :)

xoxo

Debi said...

That's what my mom would call a "stick to your ribs" recipe... sounds delicious, especially on a cold day!

Jenny said...

I had never heard of Johnny Marzetti -- a strange name for a recipe, indeed -- until the late '90s when I worked with a lady who would talk about having made Johnny Marzetti for supper. I thought it sounded so odd when she'd say that. But your recipe looks great! I may have to try that. I'm really enjoying the Pampered Chef meat chopper that you recommended. Brilliant tool! xoxo

The Liberty Belle said...

That looks like a comforting and delicious meal. A real win win in my book! Thank you for sharing the recipe.