Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Cooking Thursday

When our kids came over to celebrate Bob's birthday and Fathers Day, one of the things I made for our supper was a pasta salad that's a favorite in our house.  It's a recipe Bob's mom used to make, and I've been making it since we were married.  We especially like it when it's hot out.  It makes a nice light supper with a sandwich.




Moms Pasta Salad

1 cup uncooked pasta - shell, elbow, bowtie...
2 hard boiled eggs
7 ounces tuna, drained (or cubed ham)
1 can peas
2 sweet gherkin pickles, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

Cook pasta as directed on package.  Place in colander and rinse with cold water.
Toss together tuna, peas and pickles.  Cut eggs fine and stir in.  Add pasta and mayonnaise.
Stir all together and then stir in cheese.
Refrigerate overnight.  Stir before serving.  If it appears too dry, add mayonnaise to taste.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds very good for a hot summer evening. Hope your day is pleasant.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I do like a pasta salad and yours sounds so good. Thanks for sharing. Happy first day of summer!

Hootin Anni said...

I make something similar but instead of tuna I use salad shrimp (canned). I will try it with tuna next time!

Love your wordless too.

Jennifer Hays said...

My mom used to make almost the same thing! I don't think she had eggs, though, but I can't remember. We ate a lot of similar cold salads in the summer, whatever was on hand!

Vicki said...

This sounds good!

Michelle said...

I love this. A classic recipe!

Dianna said...

I need to give this a try. Carroll enjoys things like this when it is hot outside! Thank you for sharing.

Terri D said...

This really sounds good! I would have to make it with ham because Joe will not eat tuna (but I LOVE tuna). Thanks for the recipe, Mari!

Henny Penny said...

This sounds good and I am going to try it. A friend of mine used to make a dish a lot like that (years ago) and I've wished many times that I could remember how she made it. I believe it like this. Thank you! I really enjoyed your Father's Day post.

Jenny said...

WOW I am definitely going to make this. Sounds just wonderful. We had an array of salads for supper tonight and this would have been a hit. Thanks, Mari! xoxo

Changes in the wind said...

Yum...this is how I fix it too.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I will be trying this soon. I've cut all the carbs out of my life recently, but am getting back to pasta since I read it is not as bad as sugary foods. Thank you for the recipe and thanks for stopping by recently and leaving a kind comment.

Cherdecor said...

I make this salad only I use pickle relish and elbow macaroni. It sure is good especially in the summer.