Pages

Monday, June 19, 2017

Birds and Blooms

You may remember that last year Bob was working on a landscaping project on the side of our garage.  He had built a garden gate, put in a walk and was planting flowers.  Here's what it looks like, one year later.


 All of the new plants are growing well.



Here it is from the other side.


At the end of the walkway is a knockout rose.  We've heard good things about this variety, but have never had one.


It's beautiful and has had lots of blooms.  Each flower starts as a dark yellow, but then gets lighter as it opens, ending up this creamy color.  We think we may need to plant more of this rose.



The little birdhouse at the end of the walk was meant to be decorative, but this little wren liked it and has taken it over.


She flies out and scolds us each time we walk down the path, and we have now seen a few little ones poke their heads out of the opening.  We're hoping to see more of them!


And speaking of baby birds, we have some in our back yard too.

This robins nest is sitting on top of a trellis that is against Bob's barn.  There are 3 baby robins in it, that have just hatched in the last 2 days.  We're looking forward to seeing more of them too.

15 comments:

Jenny said...

Mari it is all positively enchanting! I am nuts about that little birdhouse and its tiny occupant(s)! How darling. I think maybe even I should try my hand at a knockout rose bush. I hope I don't kill it. Bob's handiwork is so beautiful, and your yard such a peaceful haven. I love it. xoxo

Betsy Brock said...

Oh my goodness....this is so fun!

I do remember that beautiful gate and sidewalk....it's looking nice!

I just love that bird house and the wrens! Aww....you got some great photos of her guarding her little family.

Saleslady371 said...

The gate is beautiful and those flowers so delicate. I love birds and watch them from my office window.

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely garden spot and gate that Bob created. How nice to have babies to watch; I imagine your granddaughters will enjoy them!

Hootin Anni said...

Wow, the landscaping is getting quite advanced and pretty rose! It looks a bit like a hibiscus blossom. And the birds...how sweet is that? Lovin' this Mari.

Linda said...

Beautiful Mari. Have a lovely day friend.

Arlene G said...

Mari one of these days I want to come and see your yard in person. You all are master gardeners.

Changes in the wind said...

Love that rock bird house!!

Jennifer Hays said...

It looks so nice. I always love seeing photos of your beautiful home. I think that's the prettiest birdhouse I've ever seen!

Michelle said...

That landscaping is just lovely and I adore that birdhouse.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Everything looks so pretty.....he does such good work. Knock out roses are everywhere down here and it is hard to kill them (thats why I love them so)....

Cherdecor said...

I have been waiting to take a look through the garden gate. I was not disappointed. I love that Bob made a curvy path snaking along side the house. I like the hosta lining the path too! I love hosta! I remember the birdhouse because it is so unusual. How neat that it already has residents. I am glad that you like your knock out rose. It will give you many days filled with roses.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

It all looks SO beautiful Mari!! Please tell Bob - great job!! ;) And I love that the birds are taking over. Lol xoxo

Laura said...

All so beautiful! We've had lots of nests this year too. Ruby loves watching the new young birds walking around out of their nest. :)

Anita Johnson said...

Robins have brought me much joy....Fun to watch aren't they?