Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Vacation and blog break are done...

We had a wonderful time on our vacation last week. We didn't go away, but took some day trips and accomplished some things at home. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed spending time together. One of our first outings was to visit the Frederick Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids.  It is on 158 acres and features over 200 sculpture works.

We have visited here many times, but we always enjoy it.


 One of the best known sculptures is this horse.  It is 24 feet tall and is cast from a work of DaVinci.  One was cast for Meijer Gardens, another for the city of Milan, Italy.  It is really amazing to see in person.


 One new section has opened since our last visit is the new Japanese Garden.  It covers 8 acres.


 There is a Japanese tea house, which we didn't go in because there were a lot of people waiting in line.


I think this bridge is so pretty!





 There is a display of many bonsai trees.


As we walked along the edge of the lake, we saw this heron standing and watching.


The lake is beautiful!



 Another section of the Gardens, is the childrens garden. It's filled with fun activities and plantings, water activities and tiny passages.


Another cute sculpture.

We also visited the woodland garden which is one of our favorite areas.  It's always good to visit the Gardens.
Tomorrow I'll share a few more things we did during our time off.

21 comments:

Marsha Young said...

Mari - These are just wonderful pictures. I would much rather have
been with you at the gardens than where we were last week. :)

Welcome home! - Marsha

Joyful said...

Sounds like you had fun. That is an impressive and beautiful garden.

Linda said...

Oh how much fun, Mari!!! Welcome back...Blessings

Bethany Carson said...

Looks like an absolutely gorgeous place to visit! Love the view from above of the Japanese gardens.

Arlene G said...

So pretty Mari! I am glad you got a nice break! We are at the beach this week so I am reading blogs when I can. Our internet connection is not that great so I am taking a blog break this week.

Arlene G said...

So pretty Mari! I am glad you got a nice break! We are at the beach this week so I am reading blogs when I can. Our internet connection is not that great so I am taking a blog break this week.

Unknown said...

So glad you enjoyed your time off work. The gardens are beautiful and what a fun place to visit. Hope the vacation renewed your energy and spirit. Have a great Monday!

Karen said...

I enjoyed your pictures. Sculpture is on of my favorite kinds of art. We have a town that is known for its sculpture gardens and is a mecca of sorts for artists. I used to love to take the kids there.

Looks like the start of a lovely week for you.

Jenny said...

Awe-inspiring. Such beautiful art and nature. I'd love to wander around there with you and take pictures. xoxo

Sally said...

So glad you guys had such a good day. The photos are all lovely. I've never understood what all it takes to make such beautiful art; knowledge and patience to name a couple I suppose. :)

Looking forward to your next adventure.
xoxo

Changes in the wind said...

What a fantastic place!

Jennifer Hays said...

I'm glad you had some nice time off together. The gardens are really beautiful! What a lovely way to spend a day.

Stephanie said...

Oh Mari, what a beautiful place to visit! Everything is so lovely and it looks like the perfect place to relax and simply enjoy. Hugs to you!

Amy at love made my home said...

So glad you had such a great time! The Japanese garden looks beautiful and I love the sculptures! xx

Jean said...

What a beautiful place! Sounds like you had the perfect kind of vacation.

Cherdecor said...

That is my kind of vacation. I love gardens and beautiful woodlands. I am glad that you got to enjoy it in such good weather.

Terri D said...

What a wonderful place to visit and visit again! Just lovely, and I would so enjoy seeing the sculptures in person. A great start to your staycation!

Sola Scriptura said...

It looks like you really had a fun time. Such a beautiufl place to visit!

White Lace and Promises said...

What a fun trip! Beautiful gardens and I think I'd like the children's park as much as the children.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Sounds like it was a fun vacation! What a cool looking place!! Thanks for sharing & happy week my Dear! Xo

Brenda said...

The blue children sculptures are unique. The pic with the reflections in the lake looks so serene. Glad you were able to get away.