Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

Tulip Time

We live about 20 minutes from Holland Michigan.  Every year, in May, Holland hosts a Tulip Time Festival and people come from all over our country, and some even come from other countries.  Tulip Time  is a celebration of Dutch heritage and culture, and it's been happening since 1929.  There are about 500,000 visitors, representing 40 countries.  One of the highlights of the week is the tulips - over 6 million bulbs are planted each year.  Another highlight is the Dutch Dancing, over 900 dancers in the traditional clothes worn in the late 1800's to early 1900's, including wooden shoes.
I usually try to visit Holland to see the tulips after the Festival is done, so I don't have to fight the crowds.  This year, Tulip Time was from May 2-9, so last week, when Heather and I both had a day off, we visited Holland.

 Welcome to Holland!


 So many tulips...



 Seen in every color!






 This is DeZwaan, an authentic Dutch windmill that is 125 feet tall.  It was built in the Netherlands in 1761, and was moved to Holland in 1964., and it's the last windmill to leave the Netherlands. It is a working windmill.



 The streets of downtown Holland are so charming.


 There are tulips planted everywhere!
It was a fun day!   In case you wondered what the dutch dancers look like, here is a little snapshot of them, that I grabbed from the website,


Hope this gives you an idea of Tulip Time.  If you're even in the area in May, stop and check it out

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the photos you have shared, Mari. It would be fun to visit here in person; I've heard John's sister talk about Holland for years.

Anonymous said...

It gives cool to the eyes to see your colorful tulips. Windmill looks great!

Judy said...

I have always wanted to visit Holland Michigan when the tulips were in bloom...someday :) We had been there when our son's played hockey and have always wanted to go back. I love your photos!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like a fun place to spend a day!

Jean said...

I can't ever get over the beauty of tulips!

Unknown said...

The tulips are beautiful and I would love to attend the 'tulip time' in Holland. There is one in Wamego, Kansas and I have been to that one. It isnt nearly as big tho! Have a good Tuesday.

Linda said...

Jumping up and down, wink...I have been there--when we use to vacation in Ludington as a child. Fond, fond, fond memories. Thank you!!! Blessings

Betsy Brock said...

What a charming place! Love it!

Sally said...

The tulips are gorgeous, and my very favorite of flowers! Such a nice place for you to visit, and share photos with us.

A friend who lives in the Netherlands sent Hunter a beautiful pair of the wooden shoes. :)

Changes in the wind said...

Would love to see that:)

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So beautiful Mari!! All of those tulips together is just breathtaking. And what a charming city. If I ever visit I'll make sure it's in May. ;)
xoxo

Patsy said...

Mass blooming of tulips --there just couldn't be any thing better to see the wave.

Sola Scriptura said...

What a fun day out! And it really looks like a visit to Holland :)

Dee said...

What a picturesque place and the tulips were so beautiful. I've always loved windmills, too... :)

Doris said...

Would love to see this in person. Your pictures are beautiful!

Jenny said...

I'd love to see that someday with my own eyes. Meanwhile thanks for your beautiful pictures, Mari. xoxo

Cherdecor said...

It is amazing to me that the tulips last so long. Mine didn't last a week this year. A storm with winds did them in. I would love to see the tulips in Holland. To see so many at one time would be so beautiful.

Jennifer Hays said...

I've heard of this place and have always wanted to visit. It looks like heaven to me, I really can't get enough tulips. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

i always love your tulip photos :)

LL Cool Joe said...

You always get such radiant colours with tulips. I'm a big fan of Holland, having travelled there many times. I think the Netherlands is a beautiful country with lovely traditions.