Sunday, November 2, 2014

A day in my life..

Today, I'm continuing my tradition of sharing what I've been doing on the first day of the month.
This past weekend was my weekend to work, so that's how I spent a lot of my day on Saturday.

 I start work at 7am.  This time of year it's dark when I get to work. 
These are our two med carts, ready for us to get started.  We start by getting report from the 11-7 nurse, then we have to count the narcotics to make sure they are all accounted for.  They are in a double locked drawer in the med cart.  There are two nurses during the day, and we each have one med cart.

This little bit of candy was left at the nurses station, from the kids who came trick or treating the night before.

We have 2 halls, each hall has 30 residents.  This is the hall I worked this weekend.  It takes until about 10 am to finish the morning med pass.
This was taken when everyone was eating breakfast, so the hall was clear of any people.

 Our medications come on cards like this, 30 per card.  Some people have a bunch of these cards, some have only a few.  When I got done with my med pass, I thought it would be a good idea to clean out the cart.  These are all extra meds I sent back to the pharmacy.

We all enjoyed the sun, after a cold and snowy day on Friday.  This is taken from the dining room at work.
It was a relatively calm day, with no major issues.  I got out of work on time which is kind of rare.

 On my way home from work, I stopped to get gas.  Do you see that price?  I had a coupon to get it at $1.99.  It was selling at $2.90, so that was a great deal!

 Coming home!  The oak trees are about the only ones that haven't dropped their leaves.

I made a pie for Bob.  Don't be too impressed - it was a frozen pie.  :) 
I also got something ready in the crock pot, so he has lunch after church as I'll be at work again on Sunday.

After supper it was time to work on my continuing education courses.  One was quite boring, telling how to give and read a TB test several times over. 

After getting that done, I spent some time working on a photo book I'm putting together for my Dad.  Very enjoyable!

It was an nice evening.  The only thing that would have made it better would have been a call from Laura saying she was heading to the hospital.  No call though!   :)


Stephanie said...

Your day sounds full but very rewarding. It takes a very special kind of person to be able to do what you do and I greatly appreciate your hard work, love, and care. My mom has worked as a nurse with Hospice and Homecare for many years and I have always admired her ability to show such sweet care for others.

Have a blessed week, Mari! Hugs!

Cattails said...

Good Morning. I enjoyed reading about your weekend. I greatly admire the work you do.
Your home/yard look so pretty with the fall colored leaves.
I am anxiously awaiting BABY news from you!

Sola Scriptura said...

You certainly had a long, full day! The view from the dining room at your work is lovely, I'm so glad the residents have that view!


...when I WAS online over the weekend, I kept checking my blog reading list of any news on your blog. Still no go, huh? Time's a wastin'....I can't wait to see your new grandchild!!

You do have a very interesting, but I'm sure very fulfilling, job!!

A photo scrapbook? That's neat.


ps....I forgot! Snow? Already? Again? Seems y'all just finished winter not too long ago.

Linda E said...

I enjoy seeing the pictures from sure brings back memories for me. The snow didnt last and I am sure you are happy about that. In the E. Tenn. and N.C. mtns, one area got 22 inches. We had a flurry or two. I love those crock pot meals and store bought pies are high on my list too! Be sure and let us know when the little one arrives.

Terri D said...

I made soup in the crock-pot this past weekend, and it was yummy on Saturday and the left-overs were even more yummy on Sunday.

I enjoyed seeing your work area! Glad the snow didn't last too long, and that you had a quiet weekend at work.

Patsy said...

Thanks for taking us inside your life, makes you a real friend not just a person on a blog.

Connie said...

You have a rich, fulfilling job. I am sure you are appreciated. Still no baby? She/he is really going make an entrance some day.

Kerin said...

Boy, your first few pictures brought back a lot of memories for me.
I worked as a CNA for the first few years of our marriage.... a million years ago***haha**!
My mother in law is also a nurse, and I can tell you, she was so happy to have the meds start coming on the cards... so much easier.

Sounds like you had a busy, but nice weekend..... I'm glad.

I hope that this is a great week for you!

Smiles :)

Amy at love made my home said...

It sounds like a very busy day indeed. I agree that the oak trees always seem to be last to drop their leaves, we have two in our garden which still have a lot of leaves on whereas other things are shedding leaves all over the place! xx

Ceil said...

Hi Mari! You do such wonderful work. I know you do...working with seniors is difficult, but so rewarding. Bless you for your care.

I am jealous of your gas price! We have yet to get under $3, but we're inching closer. That pie looks beautiful, you didn't need to tell us it wasn't homemade. You bought and served it with love, that's what matters!
Monday blessings,

Justabeachkat said...

I can only imagine how excited you are getting!


White Lace and Promises said...

Thanks for sharing your day. I totally admire you and know how hard you work. I saw it first hand. I loved those who took care of my mama. We never forget those who care for our loved ones. I know you are one of the dear ones that others will remember. What a precious gift you give daily! I think the idea for your dad is great! Glad you shared your day.

Jenny said...

Oooh you are such a busy bee, Mari. I hope the baby comes on 11/4/14!!! That just sounds really neat to me. My grandson was born on 2/22/12 at 2:13 in the afternoon. I asked the doctor if she couldn't fudge the ONE MINUTE to 2:12 so all his life he could say he was born 2/22/12 at 2:12 ... and she said no. Killjoy. xoxo

Jean Stauffer said...

That was really interesting! I should start doing this. The only things I ever write about are the weekends filled with trips and family events. There are a lot of boring, normal days in between, haha!

Sally Crowe said...

Mari - how did I not know you're a nurse? I've heard you mention work but didn't know. I know that's a very difficult job, but I've always appreciated nurses.

Sorry to be late, here.


Cherdecor said...

I really enjoy reading about a day in your life. I have no idea why my feed is so about 2 days slow.

I about rolled on the floor laughing at Jean's comment. She is soooo funny! As if.......

Kimberly Hoyt said...

Photo books are so wonderful, and they make great gifts! I made a scrapbook for my stepdad years ago, waaaaaaaay before photo books, and he just loved it. I'm sure your dad will love his photo book!

Not sure if I ever told you, Mari, but one of my jobs in college was at a pharmacy, where I filled med trays for local nursing homes. Each tray had clearly marked partitions for each patient and we had to check the daily updates to see about changes or additions. It was a part-time job and I worked afternoons filling the trays of meds that were dispensed in the evening. I wonder if some homes still out-source that or if it's all done in-house now.