Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

Bob can build it!

A few weeks ago, my friend Jennifer, over at Thistlebear posted some pictures of her husbands workshop.  That made me think I should do the same.  I've shown you pictures of his work - from furniture to his caricature carvings, but I don't think I've shown his shop.
He has a separate building that he put up about 15 years ago.  It's heated and well insulated.  He's even got a stereo system out there, so he's pretty comfortable!

When you open the door to go in, this is what you see.  He built all the cabinets and work stations in here.
You can see his latest project on the table.  It's an old rocking chair that belonged to my Grandpa, who's been gone for over 30 years.  My Dad gave it to Heather, but it was in really rough shape, so Bob took it apart, stripped it and is now finishing it up.


This is a poster the kids gave Bob a long time ago.  He's kept it up ever since.   :)



This is an old hand powered drill press.  Bob loves old tools, and this one belonged to my Grandpa (same Grandpa who had the chair) so it's a special one!



Speaking of old tools, here's a collection of old planes.



Here's something else from the same Grandpa.  This used to hang in his house.  Bob's always liked this verse, so when my Dad was cleaning out some of  Grandpa's things, Bob claimed this for his shop.


One more area!  Bob says he can never have enough clamps, so you see a whole bunch of them.  The wood stove keeps him toasty in the winter.  I've been blessed by his talent and I'm glad he has a place where he enjoys spending his time.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful shop! Thank you for sharing these photos. It's especially heartwarming to see keepsakes from your grandpa. The chair will be a real treasure. What does Bob enjoy listening to while he works?

Betsy Brock said...

That is very nice! He's a neat and tidy wood worker, isn't he?

I love those old planes. Every once in a while there is one at the auctions and they go for quite a bit of money!

Marsha Young said...

Mari - Aren't you the lucky one to be married to "Bob the Builder." :)
WHAT a great shop.

But then, isn't he the lucky one to be married to you? :)

Happy East to you both!

Sola Scriptura said...

With your extreme winters, I'm glad he has such a great workshop that is heated and well insulated!

Linda said...

Your Bob is alot like my David..he had a workshop like that in Alabama..unfort..everything is still packed up in totes etc..the basement is not a dry basement here. ANYWAYS--Lovely photos, thanks for sharing. Blessings

Unknown said...

Your hubby is so talented, it is great he has a separate place to do the woodworking. Have a nice Tuesday.

Jennifer Hays said...

How wonderful, Mari! I'm so glad I inspired you to share Bob's shop, I've often wondered about his since he is such a talented woodworker. He keeps it so neat and tidy, and he has great tools. I love that he has very old ones too. Thank you for sharing!

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

Oh, what a wonderful workshop! My husband is a Bob too, and quite handy as well. Must be something about that name. :-)

Brooke said...

love all the antique tools!!
i wish my hubby had such a productive hobby.

Heart2Heart said...

What a remarkable place not only filled with amazing tools but for creating amazing and truly blessed memories. Makes me wonder how many prayers go into the pieces he creates! LOVE it!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Sorry for deleting post, I had a few typos.
It is a wonderful workshop, and it takes me back to my Grandpa Lewis' workshop on his farm in Vermont, with all the tools and farm implements, each with it's own place on the pegboard he'd made. Old jars filled with nuts, bolts, screws and nails. The smell of woodshavings, oil and pipe smoke. Thank you for sharing this and bringing back such fond memories.

Sweet Tea said...

His talent is amazing and the shop is actually beautiful - who knew? The Bob the Builder poster is hint of his sense of humor. :-)

Connie said...

This would make my Ken so jealous. Wow!!

Cherdecor said...

I love all the space he has to do his work! What a nice big room! This is a woodworker's dream!

White Lace and Promises said...

A great shop! Love the old tools. What a treasure!

Jenny said...

That's very impressive. I love people who value creativity, originality, and organization. Your Bob is quite a guy. But then you already knew that. xoxo

Anita said...

I wonder if my husband would organize our garage if he saw Bob's workshop.

I can dream...

I enjoyed the tour. Your husband is blessed with a talent that appears to feed his spirit. How nice.

Jean said...

I gotta show this to Dick. He will love it!

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow it's immaculate too! I'm impressed. I love the Bob the Builder poster. :D