Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ottawa Station School

We were out for a drive on a country road, enjoying the last of the leaves when we came across this building.  Because we could see it had a historical sign on it we stopped to check it out.



 When we got to the sign, we found this was called Ottawa Station School.  It was built in 1867 and was used as a school, community center and a church.
It closed in 1958 and was kept up by a family.  It was donated to the Ottawa County historical society in 2010.
It's hard to tell on the picture above but there are 2 doors.  One was for the boys, the other for the girls.



 I love that the old bell is still up there!



What fun we had walking around and peeking in the windows!



 I like the old wooden shutters.



Peeking in, we could see the old piano and desks.  Do you see the rope hanging down in the front of the room by the teachers desk? It rings the bell!


Here's another view of the desks.  See the old hat and the feathers for writing on the desks?



The old pot-bellied stove is still in the corner!



We could see this old ledger on a table.



And here's what the school house looks like.  Isn't it charming?
I loved walking around and looking at it!



15 comments:

Unknown said...

Can just about see the kids sitting at their desks too!!! Really neat

Mari said...

cool place and pics Mare!

Mike Golch said...

I remember desks like that.wow am I getting older.

Pat said...

What a wonderful piece of history. Every time I see something like this, I'm so greatful for the people who care enough to preserve it for others to see and learn from. Beautiful!

Sharon said...

What a wonderful find and I do remember those desks.
You got some very nice photos for someone just window peeking.
Hugs

Sadie said...

GORGEOUS! Oh how I would LOVE to do a photo shoot there! :)

Kathy said...

You're such a good photographer. I feel like I got to take a little tour of my own. What a beautiful spot, indeed!

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

This is very charming! It's like taking a step back in time. Thanks for sharing this with us :)

Jean said...

I LOVE it!! It's right out of the Little House and Anne of Green Gables books!

Erika Jean said...

What a great little building! you got some great shoots fro just peaking in ;-)

Rebecca said...

I noticed the shine on those floors, too! There is a little school at Sauder Village in Archbold, OH that is set up very similarly to this one. I always enjoy touring there, sitting at one of the desks, and hearing the retired-school-teacher-guide tell about what a typical day would have been like for a school child....

Nancy said...

This is such a special post, Mari. A gorgeous schoolhouse so well cared for!

shirley said...

Wow, that is a great old school - glad you stopped in. Maybe if I get up to MI, I'll stop to check it out myself. Thank you for sharing.

D said...

OH that schools were still like this one.

Jenny said...

Extremely charming! I wish you could've gone inside! And how beautiful it must be when the first snow falls.