Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cooking Thursday


This soup is one of my family's favorites. It's perfect for cold winter evenings and although it's a little warmer here today, the cold will be back next week. :(
Make sure you stop over at Sandra's blog for more good stuff!


Cheesy Potato Soup

2 chicken bouillon soup
2 cups boiling water
4 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 quart milk
1/2 pound Velveeta, cubed
bacon bits or ham - optional

Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water in large saucepan. Add potatoes along with other vegetables. Bring to boiling, simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a 4 quart dutch oven over low heat. Blend in flour, stirring mix until smooth. Add 1 cup milk, then stir in remaining 3 cups milk. Stir constantly until slightly thickened.
When vegetables are cooked and tender, puree and stir into hot milk.
Heat to boiling. Stir in cheese.
Season with salt and pepper. Add bacon or ham if desired.

11 comments:

Karin said...

Soup!! Yum! My favorite in the winter months! Thanks for sharing your recipes!

Sandra said...

Yummy soup. I'm a soup lover, I actually think I could soup everyday :)

Unknown said...

Mari, you make the most delicious food! I sure wish I lived close by. I'd conveniently stop by around dinner time! :)

;) said...

Can I say : miam miam?
;)

Pat said...

I have made one quite similar, it was a Weight Watcher recipe. If you like it spicy, throw in a can of Rotel tomatoes!

Susan said...

Wanted to tell you I made the Cheese Cake you posted recently for my Bible Study Tuesday night and it was sooo good and got raves. It is only the 2nd cheese cake I've ever baked. I did leave out the chocolate chips and I also used non-fat cream cheese but it was still sooo yummy.

I make potato soup a lot but have never added the cheese. I'll have to do that next time.

Sharon said...

I love potato soup, and I will try this recipe with the cheese. It looks so yummy.
It is going to cool down this weekend so I will try it.
Thanks for the wonderful recipes.
Enjoy this wonderful day.

Shelly said...

Sounds scrumptious.

Raise Them Up said...

Potato soup is one of my favorites! And this looks good!

I used to put lots of cheese in mine, too. Then, because some of my family can't do dairy products, I adapted it. I simply put LOTS of potatoes in it and let the soup thicken itself as the potatoes cooked away. I sprinkle shredded cheddar on each bowl-full individually then for those that like it.

Cherdecor said...

Because I am intolerant to flour, I use cornstarch in this soup and it works for me too.

Melissa said...

Wow, so funny story. My co-worker came to work yesterday and told me I "HAD" to figure out a copy cat recipe for Bob Evan's cheesy potato soup. I hadn't looked for a recipe yet, but I bought Velveeta today. And now you posted a recipe that I'll have to try. Thanks!