Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Christmas questions


I got this as an e-mail from Ginger and thought it would be fun to blog. Here's all you ever wanted to know about my Christmas likes!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I like the look of beautifully wrapped packages under the tree, but do use gift bags for some items.
2. Real tree or artificial? I love the look and aroma of a real tree, but with kids who are allergic, we had no choice but to get an artificial one.
3. When do you put up the tree? As soon as I can after Thanksgiving.
4. When do you take the tree down? As soon as I can after Christmas!
5. Do you like eggnog? I love it!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? A doll that both my cousin and I received one year. I was thrilled with her.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, it's one I treasure because my daughter Laura made it when she was in Junior High. I'll post a picture when I do the Holiday tour of Homes.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My dad, he has always been the most difficult. He used to always tell us that all he wanted was for us to be good. I remember thinking that I would rather buy a gift!
9. Easiest person to buy for? Heather, she's not fussy and always has things she needs.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Probably something given to me by one of my sisters. We have a tradition in our family where some of the adults may receive "Santa gifts". These gifts are nothing good and usually come with a letter from Santa expressing his displeasure at your behavior during the past year. The gift may be worthless but the laughter that ensues with the reading of the letter is priceless!
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail - I like sending and receiving them.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I love the Christmas Carol in many different versions.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? My sisters and I go on a shopping trip in the beginning of November and usually get a lot done then.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? A few times.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Fudge.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? White lights only.
17. Favorite Christmas song? I love hearing songs by the Trans Siberian Orchestra.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I have never traveled at Christmas. My family has always lived in the same area..
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Yes - if I sing Rudolph to myself!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A big bow.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We have always had our family time on Christmas Eve and spent the day with either Bob's or my family.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Definitely the irreverence for the true HOLY DAY. The complete absorption of self and getting more and more when so many have so little. Amen Ginger!
23. What I love most about Christmas? It is easy to focus on gifts, decorating and food, but when you really think about it, the gift of Jesus is the best thing ever!



post signature

10 comments:

Saija said...

i enjoyed reading that ... learning more about you ...

and i definitely, wholeheartedly, one hundred percent, say along with you: JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!!

amen!

A Captured Reflection said...

I loved your list. I've never had eggnog before, sounds yummy! So agree with you about the irreverence of the day that can be seen. xxx

Rmomof3 said...

It is always fun to learn more and more sweet Mari! I am anxious to see your precious nativity!
Blessings!
Renee

Bonnie said...

Oh my goodness !! I love your #10 Worst Christmas Gift Ever Received. You and your sisters crack me up !! That is hilarious ! I am still laughing about it !! ... a letter from Santa expressing his displeasure at your behavior during the past year ... that is so funny !!

A Stone Gatherer said...

I love the list Mari! You and your sisters have such a great relationship! That definately is a treasure!

Laura said...

HEY!!! You're supposed to be saving these things for the Christmas Favorites list!!!

Oh well - it was still fun reading - and you did the same thing to us as Grandpa did to you - "I just want you to be good." And we'd think - "can't we just buy you a present?"

And are you sure the Santa letter was your worst gift? Because I seem to remember a certain set of Friendly Plastic earrings that you sure looked pretty in at church... and then your ears mysteriously became allergic to them...

Cheri said...

Dad never said to me that he wanted me to be good- must be that I was already being good!!!!
He always just told me that he had everything he needed and to save our money.

Terri said...

Yup, Dad told me that he had everything he needed and didn't need anything else. Guess me and Cheri were the good kids!

Anonymous said...

That was fun...
I used to live in the same town as my entire family, and we would always sleep over at mom's, all over the floor, and be silly, and play music, and eat and eat. That was fun. We have to travel now, but we still sleepover. The kids make us tireder and more "responsible" acting than we used to be, but it's still a joy to be with everybody. Can't beat it.

Renee said...

This was fun to read. I'm very curious about your 'Holiday tour of Homes'. Sounds fun!!

Your tradition of Santa gifts and letters sounds like a fun tradition. I can just imagine what some of the letters have said, and the laughter that followed. Too funny!