Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Cooking Thursday

Today's recipe is an old one, and when I made it last week I thought I should really share it.  If you like wet burritos you'll like this version which is made in a pan.  It makes a 9x13 pan, but when I make it, I do 2 8x8 pans and throw one in the freezer for later.  It freezes very well and I love having another meal just waiting in the freezer.



Pan Burritos

2 pounds hamburger, browned and drained
12 ounce can tomato paste
4 cups enchilada sauce
16 ounce can refried beans
1 pkg large flour tortillas (10)
20 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste

Mix tomato paste and enchilada sauce with enough water to make 5 cups of sauce.
Take 2 1/2 cups of this sauce and mix it with the browned hamburger. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper if desired. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add refried beans.
Grease a 9x13 pan. Spread 1/14 cups of remaining sauce on bottom of pan.
Lay 3 tortillas on top, tearing them to conform with bottom of pan.
Spoon 1/2 of meat on top of tortillas, then spread 1/3 of cheese over top.
Add another 3 tortillas, then rest of meat.
Add another 1/3 of cheese followed by one more layer of tortillas.
Pour remaining sauce over top and add remaining cheese.
Bake 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yum! Almost looks like a Mexican lasagna.

Pam said...

yum.....that looks good.

R's Rue said...

Yum

Dianna said...

This sounds really good, Mari. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Suemn said...

This sounds really good and I'm going to try making it.

Debby said...

Sounds good. I make something similar using corn tortillas and call it enchilada casserole! I really should make 2 batches and freeze one.

Catherine said...

Sounds good! We will have broccoli crumble with ham tonight.

happyone said...

I'm making this for sure. We will all love it.
Thanks.

Prims By The Water said...

Yummy. I will need to make this. Am making chicken enchiladas for dinner on Saturday. Janice

Lowcarb team member said...

Looks good, and a meal that freezes well is a bonus.

All the best Jan

Terri D said...

Mexican lasagne was my thought as well. Looks and sounds delicious!! Thanks Mari

Jenny the Pirate said...

I have never made anything like this but the next time I have to feed a crowd, this may be the winning recipe! Duly copied. xoxo

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Already copied this! Thanks for sharing and love the idea of making and freezing one!! :)

Judy said...

This looks like something my husband and I would love. I love making foods I can freeze for later when I am too busy to make something but heats up great.

Kim said...

Oh this looks so good. My girls are I have been swapping recipes. I'm sending this one to the group! Thanks!

Suemn said...

Thank you for another winner of a recipe:) I did make it but halved the recipe. I loved it and it was even better the 2nd day than the first.