Pages

Monday, November 5, 2018

A Day in my life!

November is here!  The leaves are falling, the air is crisp and snow will soon be falling!
Here's what I did on the first day of the month.

November 1 fell on a Thursday, which is the busiest day of my week,  It's the day our Dr comes in and does rounds, so I usually end up at work pretty late.

 I arrived at work at 7:15.  This is the hall my office is in.  No one was there yet, except the housekeeping crew.


This is on the corner of my desk; my business cards and a little pumpkin which was painted by some school kids.  They painted a bunch and brought them for everyone to put out throughout the facility.


This is the nurses station on our skilled nursing unit.  It's been very busy over there, so I have been coming a little early to get the am blood sugars on our diabetic patients.




Here's what it looks like in the sitting areas, while I was getting the blood sugars.  Most everyone was still in bed and all was quiet.


Once the blood sugars were done I started gathering charts on the people that were being seen by the doctor.  I had called hospitals the day before so I had discharge summaries on our new residents.  I also got copies of recent labs and blood sugars.  I make notes of anything that may be going on with them, so the Doc is well informed, and clip everything together on the chart.
While I was doing this, I got a call with results from an ultrasound that was done late the night before.  One of our new residents arrived with one leg much more red and swollen than the other, so the ultrasound was ordered.  The results showed a very large deep vein thrombosis in her leg.  This is dangerous, because a piece of it could break off and go to her heart, brain or lungs.  I called the Dr and got orders for some blood thinners, and also to keep her on bedrest for 3 days, until the blood thinners start dissolving the clot, and then called the family to update them.


It was now 9:30, which is the time all the managers meet in this conference room. We review all the orders and progress notes from the day before.  This ensures that things get followed up on as needed.  We talk about discharge plans, any pending admits or any other things that may need to be covered.  This meeting was done at about 10:30.

After the meeting, I worked on my vaccination records.  In October I did flu vaccines on all the residents, and then have been giving them to the employees.  The employees take a little longer because I have to wait for some of them to get in and have the vaccine.  Once they are done, they have to be entered into the State of Michigan's vaccine site.  I also have to enter them into our facility site, so it takes some time.

Our Dr arrived at noon.  We eat lunch together, but it's a working lunch.  We review any questions with people he isn't seeing and he gives me verbal orders that I put into the computer.
When we finish that, he goes over each chart and we go out and see residents, one by one.  On this day we had 3 new admissions to see, and we saw 4 of our long term residents.
He writes notes on each of them, I scan them and enter them into the computer and put in orders.
He left about 4:30.
I then call the families of the people we saw and update them.  Any new orders need to be printed and put into the med book.  I talk to each of the nurses to tell them about the orders, and update a sheet at each nurses station to remind them of changes and what they need to be charting on.  Then, the charts all get put away.
I left at 5:45pm

It was getting kind of dark when I left, but I saw some pretty colors on my way home.

Bob was already home, and had warmed up some soup I made the day before.  (I'll be sharing that recipe on Thursday)

We had a quiet evening, so I've got no more pictures to share!

12 comments:

Joyful said...

You had a very busy introduction to November. Your residence looks so nice and clean and organized.

Jenny said...

Girl that was a long day. I hope you get a restful one soon, with a blanket and a book. xoxo

Terri D said...

A long day for you. I am so thankful for dedicated nurses! God bless you!

Arlene G said...

You are a super nurse, Mair.

Hootin Anni said...

First...happy belated birthday to Ruby! 4 years old already? Time flies!

Your day sounds busy, but not too hectic. Which is good...little stress. Love the little pumpkin by your card holder & gorgeous Autumn trees!

Changes in the wind said...

Your facility looks so nice and clean and I am sure the residents are well cared for. You carry a lot of responsibility, know they are glad to have you.

Kim said...

My mom was in and out of rehab and a wonderful long term care facility. I spent many hours there each week for years. I know exactly how hard you ladies work. I hope your residents and their families appreciate you and know how lucky they are that their loved ones are in your care.

Sally said...

Mari, I admire your dedication to your position with such care. And, I always love to read the 'first' of each month. You're a busy lady. xoxo

Kerin said...

You had a very busy day, indeed.
Busy days always seem to go by in the blink of an eye, don't they?!

Looking forward to your soup recipe :)

Have a happy day.
~K.

Cherdecor said...

You work in such a beautiful and clean facility! You work so hard to get all the things done that need to be done in a day. No wonder your staff and facility passes inspection every time! You deserve a quiet evening!

PS. I was telling Alan about Ruby's questions today. She just cracks me up. How does she think up all those questions? Her mind must keep going while she sleeps.

Jean said...

Mari, you are really a good nurse and manager. I want to come there when I'm old and sick. Will you still be my nurse???

Laura said...

A busy day as usual!