Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Cooking Thursday

The recipe I'm sharing with you today is one I've been making for most of my married life, which is 35 years.  It's one that has stood the test of time and we still like it!  This is a recipe for sloppy joes, or BBQ's as we call them in our area.   I often make this the evening ahead if I'm going to have a busy day, then pop it in a small crockpot to warm for several hours.
You may notice on the picture, that we put cheese on it.  It's something Bob's family did and it's very good.  Try it sometime!



Sloppy Joe
2 pound hamburger, browned and drained
1/2 cup chopped onion, optional
4 tablespoons corn starch
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup catsup
2 tablespoons mustard
Put browned hamburg and onions in bowl and microwave on high until hot. Add cornstarch, salt and sugar and stir together. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together. Microwave on high for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens. This recipe reheats well, so may be refrigerated for later use or just place on low in slow cooker to keep warm.
*This makes a large amount.  I make half of this for Bob and I and it's still enough for a few meals.

12 comments:

Arlene G said...

Sloppy Joes are yummy!! Here is my recipe for Parmesan Chicken fingers...

Place Chicken tenders in buttermilk to soak for about 8 hours. ( I do it when I get up in the morning. I usually fix two pkgs of chicken tenders since they keep well and are good cold too)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Prepare your pan by putting parchment paper or foil over the surface. I use my broiling pan that came with my stove. Pour 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in the pan. ( I eyeball this Mari so more or less...just cover the parchment)

. Mix equal parts of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.( Cheap parmesan works best!) Take chicken tenders from buttermilk and roll in crumb mixture. ( You can also put it in a gallon zip lock and shake it.)

Place tenders on Parchment. When pan is full, melt 1 stick of butter and pour over the top of the chicken.

Place in 400 degree oven and bake for one hour. I check it after about 40 minutes. Leave it until chicken is brown. Take from oven. Let it set for about 15 minutes before removing from pan. I drain it a bit on paper towels. I used to turn it over half way but found that the topping came off so now I just leave it for the full cook time. With two pans, I do rotate them on the racks at 30 minutes. Ours were so good..it had been a while since I fixed them and we both ate too much at dinner tonight.

Anonymous said...

These bbq's sound moist and tasty, Mari. Thanks for sharing and have a good night.

Hootin Anni said...

Cheese, in my opinion, is a staple in life!! Anything topped with cheese is a winner. And I do like sloppy joes.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I always look forward to your recipes and this one is no exception. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thursday!

Linda said...

Vinegar? Now that is something new...will have to try this...and we put cheese on ours too...I think it is a Midwestern thing? Smiles

(my husband never did until he met me/my family--since my family is originally from Illinois and Indiana.)

Jenny said...

Wow, delicious. You inspired me to make meatloaf last week. Now sloppy joes will be next. I'm sensing a trend. I love Cooking Thursdays on MLCotW! xoxo

Jennifer Hays said...

Yum! I love sloppy joes. I was just thinking last night that I want to make them again soon. I often just use Manwich sauce but I've had a few homemade types that I like too. I've never seen your recipe before so I will keep it in mind! Thanks for sharing, Mari.

Terri D said...

Well, I copied yours AND Arlene's so I can try them at home. My mom used to make Sloppy Joes all the time when we were kids, but we called them Sloppy Helens and still do, even though we lost her a long time ago. Makes me smile! Sometimes she would just brown the hamburger and put in a can of cream of mushroom soup. Those are good too!

Sally said...

I love sloppy Joe's - this recipe looks so good! I hadn't heard of putting cheese on top (love, love cheese around here) or corn starch. Another winner, Mari! Oh, the chicken finger recipe sounds good too. :)

xoxo

Cherdecor said...

Thanks, Mari. This looks like something I can eat.

White Lace and Promises said...

Ooooo! Sounds yummy! Will have to try this. Anxious to see some posts of the girls. I guess they are getting grown!

Sylvia said...

Bit behind and just catching up with your blog. Like the sound of this recipe but totally stumped by "catsup". Googled it and found it was our tomato ketchup. Love learning these new words.