Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Crazy storm!

Earlier this week, I posted about the joy and beauty of Spring.  The same evening that was posted, we were hit by a Spring storm!  I had gone back to work to do some end of the month paperwork.  I was in a little office that has no windows, so I was kind of oblivious to what was going on outside.  Then, I got a message from Bob that said "Please tell me the car is ok".   I went to look out the windows, and it was raining like crazy and the wind was blowing.  One of the residents told me it had been hailing too and I could see a some hail on the walkway.  I called Bob to reassure him all was well.  He said it was a good thing the car hadn't been outside at our house and that he would show me what he was talking about when I got home.
Here's some pictures he took right after the hail storm.  This came down in 10 minutes time.


 The yard...



The driveway.


He put a few pieces of hail in the freezer so I could see them.  They were big!



 


The next day our little town was mentioned on Good Morning America because of the size of the hail we had.


In the daylight, we could see the aftermath of the storm.

 Our street was full of twigs and bark.



 Our solar lanterns had pieces broken off of them.



You can see what our yard looked like by the condition of the bricks under this light.

A lot of the flowering trees lost blooms, so they don't look as nice as they did, but we have quite a few that weren't damaged because the buds are still small.  I guess we better buy some new solar lanterns though!

18 comments:

Sally said...

Oh goodness - I hate that for y'all. Hope you didn't have any trouble driving home from work. I've never seen hale like that! Well, May is upon us so maybe not more April showers (although that was definitely more than a shower) but we can hope for May flowers. :)

xoxo

Sally said...

I spelled 'hale' wrong didn't I? LOL

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow that was some storm! I remember being near the border in Mexico and driving in the car when we had a hail storm. We were terrified! The windscreen smashed to pieces, the car was covered in dents, in fact when then we took it back to the hire car place, they couldn't believe it!

Linda said...

Whoa, cool...I saw where Texas and OK were hit hard as well. Yikes, I suppose that is heading our way?---hope not...have a beautiful day, friend.

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so blessed to be living in Florida. Hail storms happen here, but I can only remember one in 27 years. Yikes!!

Arlene G said...

God's providence is always amazing isn't it Mari? So glad you did not have a lot of damage from the storm. It seems that Hail is everywhere this spring. We got a new roof out of one hail storm that hit our area several years ago!

Beth Cotell said...

Yikes! That's some big hail!!

Changes in the wind said...

Wow! that is some kind of hail. Glad you weren't out on the road in your car...it would have dents everywhere.

Karen said...

Hail storms are a threat here, as well, but usually not until closer to summer. Just after I put my flowers in:)

Patsy said...

I made the Cookies yesterday --So good-
We heard about the large hail, we didn't get any but some bad storm today.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Yikes! That was a doozy!! Glad the car was ok -lanterns are much cheaper to repair or replace. Lol

Have a great weekend Mari! xoxo

Jenny said...

Mercy! Y'all have had some wild weather of late. Your solar lanterns! They were so cute! We've had the most uneventful many-months weather wise, it's positively boring. I don't remember the last time we had more than a brief spate of rain. xoxo

White Lace and Promises said...

You have got to be kidding! Wow! I have been out of the loop. I haven't even watched the news or what's going on in the other parts of the world. I'm glad you're okay, the cars okay. You can buy another lantern, right? The car, the house YOU, are not easy to replace. Take care, my friend.

Cherdecor said...

A storm like that hit southern Ohio last week. My niece put up a picture of her patio that looked like your driveway. This must be the year for hail. They said this morning that OK got grapefruit size hail. Can you imagine?

I would try to glue the lanterns back unless the piece is missing. At least I would wait till the spring storms are over.

Hootin Anni said...

Gracious!!! Mother Nature is a powerful force. Hope you don't have any more like it. Kinda hairy, scary those Springtime hail storms are.

Tell Bob his photos are definitely news worthy.

Amy at love made my home said...

Wow, we have had some big hail here in the last few days, but not as big as your hail. Glad you are all OK with not too much damage!

Ceil said...

Hi Mari! Holy Cow, you really got pelted! I saw some examples of hail that came down in the middle south east, I'm not sure where you live. Those ice balls can do SO much damage! I'm so sorry about your solar light, what a disappointment! But fortunately you were safe at your job, and not driving in that mess. Phew!
Blessings,
Ceil

Sue O said...

We are in Texas for the weekend visiting our younger son and his family. They have had a couple of crazy hailstorms in the last month. We drove through Wylie today on the way to church, where some of the worst damage was done, and there are so many houses with tarps on the roof and boarded up windows still. We never get anything that exciting in Oregon, thank goodness.