Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Bob can build it!

Many of you have seen the carvings my hubby does.  He's got a real talent at doing caricature carvings, but he started out with bigger things and recently completed a bedroom suite for us.
I've shared some of the pieces before, because it's taken a while to get the whole thing done.  I'm going to start where he started and share each piece with you.

It started with this mirror.  When we got married, (32 years ago) we had a waterbed with a big headboard.  This mirror was in it and he wanted to save it when the bed died.  He ended up making this frame for the mirror.
 

Next was a headboard.  He wanted to match the curve in the frame, and you will see this curve in the other pieces.  This headboard and several other pieces were made with oak that came from trees on my uncles property.  It was land Bob used to hunt on which has now been sold, and this adds sentimental value to the wood.
 
 

My nightstand.  I told him I didn't want mine to be open, because I have lots of "stuff" to put away!
 
 

His nightstand.  Unlike me, he only needed one drawer for his stuff.   :)
 
 
Bob's Armoire.
 
 

He put this row of little drawers to keep the little things that usually end up on top of a dresser.
 
 
My dresser.  He finished the dresser last year, but the final piece was the mirror which was completed last week.  This dresser has a row of smaller drawers, which are very handy.   One drawer is really special though...
 
 
He made it a jewelry drawer.  There are partitions of different sizes, and the top piece which slides back and forth.  I love the special touches he added.
 
This suite is beautiful and so well made, but what makes it so special is the person who made it and the love that went into it!


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

He did a marvelous job. How very pretty and special this set is. Love that he saved the old waterbed mirror and how sweet that the wood was from your uncle's land. Thanks for sharing this. I know you love and cherish it; love the jewelry drawer.

Nancy said...

What a treasured heirloom for your family...Not only that Bob made it but the wood came from your family....He certainly did a awesome job. I know you are so proud of him and that he used his gift to make something for the two of you to enjoy every day....

Le monde dÖ said...

Great work!!! Lucky you are ;)

Susan said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! So beautiful and so very special. What a keepsake for your children, and grandchildren, too. You are blessed indeed. So special how he "personalized" the pieces. To think this beauty all came as a result of a waterbed mirror!!! I see God "creating" our walk with HIM sort of like that!!!!

Hootin Anni said...

Extraordinary work Bob!!! And I love the concept of a jewelry drawer. Very ingenious.

Linda said...

Awesome work! You know..Our husbands would get along just fine..(smiles) Blessings

Terri said...

He is so talented. Those pieces are just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

That is fantastic and such a special bedroom set he made. He is very talented to say the least. I love the jewelry box.

Unknown said...

Mari, this is so beautiful! I love the jewelry drawer!

Cherdecor said...

Bob does incredible work! You are so blessed to have a bedroom set like that and you are so blessed to have a man who sees that you get those special drawers for your jewelry.

Terri D said...

You are right, Mari. Your hubby has great talent! Your bedroom suite is just gorgeous, and the love that went into it, and the memories preserved in it, make it glow. Thanks for sharing this wonderful delight!! Blessed indeed!

Renee said...

Wow, how gorgeous ~Bob is truly gifted!

Jennifer Hays said...

These are wonderful pieces and they will be family heirlooms someday. Bob is very talented!

Sola Scriptura said...

Wow. These pieces are amazing!! He is a very gifted craftsman and has a wonderful eye for style.

Jenny said...

Gorgeous. What a talent your Bob has. Handmade things have a specialness nothing store-bought can hope to compare to. And now I have a strong desire to raid your jewelry drawer. xoxo

Sandra said...

I've said it before, will say it again, Bob is one talented guy.

My word, he makes beautiful pieces.

White Lace and Promises said...

Wow! How talented! You better keep that handy-man. I love my man, but he ain't handy-well not with tools:)

Sylvia said...

Can't believe your pictures Mari. Bob is certainly a professional. Every piece of furniture looks beautiful. Love it all. Well done Bob.

Brooke said...

love your jewelry drawer!!! :)
he's very talented.

Sue O said...

Wow. You are one lucky lady. I can't imagine how many hours went into all that furniture. It is gorgeous.

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow what a talented husband you have! I wish I had some sort skill like that. It must be wonderful to create mini works of art that are cherished and used all the time.