Pages

Monday, October 23, 2023

Get-away, part 3

 We spent one day of our time away on a bigger trip.  We drove to Tahquamenon Falls in the upper penninsula.  It takes 3 1/2 hours to drive there from Traverse City, and then 3 1/2 hours back, so that meant a lot of time on the road.




It also meant we had to cross the Mackinac Bridge.  I'm not a fan of heights or bridges, so a 5 mile bridge tests me.  I'm always glad to make it to the other side.




We arrived and took this trail to the falls.






First view of the falls






Beautiful!







There are several viewing areas. This was on the walk to the next spot.






Then we got to the spot where you could go down to get closer to the falls.  It was 94 steps down - which meant 94 steps up.  I did it, but it wasn't easy on the knees!











Me and my honey, enjoying the day!



Then it was back in the car for a 3 mile drive to see the lower falls.



The lower falls; not nearly as large, but still pretty.









After seeing the lower falls, it was time to start the trip back.



The falls are on the tip of the upper peninsula, so the top part borders Lake Superior.  We stopped at a little roadside park to get pictures of it.




Lake Superior is huge, but this area is close to Canada.  If you look closely, you can see a little land right in the middle of this picture.  That's Canada!








Time to head back.  Unfortunately, we found there was construction on the road, shortly before the bridge, and we were held up for awhile.
But we made it through, and then we made it back over the bridge!






We got back to our cottage in time to enjoy this sunset over the lake.
What a great day, enjoying God's beautiful creation!

21 comments:

Susan said...

So much beauty!!!! Well worth the drive. Our country is so big when you see pictures like that. That picture of the two of you with the falls behind needs to be framed!

Jan said...

Beautiful!

Ginny Hartzler said...

A five mile bridge! I'm afraid I would begin to freak out at some point! But the destination was so worth it! The falls are simply gorgeous! Even the pathway there is beautiful. And two of them! You got wonderful photos!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Beautiful photos Mari- especially the Falls- I had no idea that you could build a Bridge 5 Miles in length...unreal. Best Wishes. KEV.

Terra said...

Your post reminded me of the camping trips and visits to Tahquemenon Falls I took with my family when I was a child, and also visits to Mackinac Island. The falls are so beautiful.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a beautiful place.
You and your honey must be in great shape to have been able to do all that walking.
And that sunset back at the cottage is just wow!

Catherine said...

We also have heigh and long bridges over the river Seine in Normandy and we often have to cross them, we are used to that. The vegetation is beautiful so are the falls. I could see Canada on the picture ! Nice selfie of you and Bob!

Mrs. White said...

The pictures are so beautiful! What a peaceful and serene setting you were able to enjoy! Thank you for sharing with us!

Sparky said...

Such a pretty area. Very serene. And y'all look great! So nice to see your smiling faces.
Blessings. xx

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Dianna said...

What stunning scenery, Mari! So beautiful...especially the last picture. I don't care for bridges either. I pray from the time we get on until we are on the other side...especially if the traffic gets held up while we are ON the bridge. :)

I'm so glad that you and Bob were able to get away for this time together.

happyone said...

Looks worth the trip - beautiful!!!
I'm always amazed at bridges and what it takes to build them!!!

roentare said...

The waterfall is so beautiful!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Mari, that last picture! You should enter it in a contest. Tell Bon he looks like Indiana Jones in that picture of the two of you. And wow! Those falls! So gorgeous. xoxo

Prims By The Water said...

I hate that bridge. As a kid we us to sing the song Lions Tigers and Bears, Oh my from the Wizard of O as we first spotted the spires from I75. We once took our kids on a riverboat ride to the upper falls. I wonder if that still is there? Beautiful pics! Glad you enjoyed your trip to the U P Janice

Kim said...

All the pictures are stunning, Mari and I love the one of you and Bob...but my mind is still focused on that 5 mile bridge. That would rattle me a bit, too!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! Beautiful pictures of a beautiful trip with your sweetheart. The waterfalls are lovely. Thanks for sharing these pictures. See you again soon!

Terri D said...

A long day, but oh my goodness those falls are so worth the trip!! Beautiful. I know you are happy you made the ride and got across that long bridge twice!! xo

acorn hollow said...

What a lovely area! It looks like a wonderful trip great sunset.
Cathy

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Such gorgeous pics Mari! And you got to gaze at my side of the water a bit at big Lake Superior 😉 I have been across the Mackinaw bridge a few times! It's really pretty, though isn't it? Heights or not? lol
Love the pic of the 2 of you 🤗 The Falls are beautiful!

Jeanette said...

It's so beautiful up there! I love driving across the Mackinaw Bridge and try to do it at least once a year! I haven't been to the falls in ages though! You had a really nice trip!