Pages

Monday, December 14, 2015

Baking with Alaina

Last week I had a vacation day off and I thought it would be fun to do something with Alaina.  I picked her up the evening before so she could spend the night too.  Bob had a meeting at church that evening, so Alaina and I started some baking.

 Here she is, quite proud to be helping with the baking!


 She kept reminding me that she could put things in - "I can help you, Grandma!"


 Here's some of our finished cookies.  Quite a few of those M&M's made it into her mouth.


We were making the cookies to bring to people, so she also made some cards to bring with them.
When she was done with that we watched a cartoon show before bed.

The next morning we did another fun project.

 We made these Reindeer candies.  She loved doing this - setting out pretzels, unwrapping Rolo's and putting noses on them!  (I'll share the "recipe" later this week.)


 When everything was done, we packed up goody bags to deliver.


 One of our stops was at my work. We brought something to the business office manager and 2 aunts who work there.

Here she is with my Dad and stepmom.  We also stopped to see Bobs Mom, our church office, another aunt and Alaina's other grandparents.  By the time we finished she had had enough of deliveries!
It was fun though, and she was pretty proud of her products.  She took some to her house too.
What a fun way to spend a day off!

21 comments:

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Love it Mari!! So sweet (literally - Lol!). Alaina is such a doll and growing up so fast. You Christmas angels did a great job!! xoox

Deb J. in Utah said...

What fun! She is going to be a great cook like her grandma. Great Christmas memory and Alaina learned that giving to others is lots of fun! BTW, we got your Christmas card. Love the pictures of your family. Merry Christmas to you all!

Bethany Carson said...

Oh this looks like so much fun for both of you. Her smile puts a smile on my face...and those cookies look delicious! I'm sure you brightened many people's days!

Jenny said...

I love that Alaina's time with you included togetherness and fun mixed with work, and thinking of others. She is such a beautiful little girl. I can't wait for that reindeer candy recipe. I'm making some of those!!! xoxo

p.s. BTW Dagny tries to say "baby" (it comes out buh-buh) whenever she sees anything remotely resembling an infant. Audrey said when your Christmas card arrived, Dagny immediately zeroed in on Ruby, touching Ruby's picture with her finger and saying "buh-buh! buh-buh!" Audrey was tickled pink. xoxo

Linda said...

{{{Big, Big Smiles}}}---she is such a doll, Mari...and can you adopt me too (giggling). Beautiful...thank you and many holiday Blessings.

Arlene G said...

How fun!! I think it is a good thing to teach children about giving and they really get into it at this age. So glad you had a fun day off!!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I love seeing pictures of that precious little girl and her sister too. I know you had fun with her, baking and laughing. Memories to last a lifetime for sure.

Brooke said...

how blessed the recipients will be!

Patsy said...

Love it, so much fun and she will remember it always.

Terri D said...

These are the times that make life-long memories, for Alaina AND for Grandma! What a fun project and great day you had!

Amy at love made my home said...

A wonderful way for you both to spend the day. I am sure that everyone loved seeing you and enjoying the treats too! xx

Sally said...

Truly such an awesome time y'all had. Alaina can come over and help me with the cookies too. Rylan helped a bit yesterday, but mostly couldn't wait until the oven timer went off. :)

Oh, and yes the recipe for the pretzels will be welcome. I think the kids will love those!

xoxo

Connie said...

I remember doing that with my grand-daughters too. They are 29 and 27 now. Time flies...

White Lace and Promises said...

What fun! She is such a little doll. You are teaching her all the right things about giving. I hope you do a little of that with mine this year. Your dad looks great!

Joyful said...

What a precious thing to do with your beautiful granddaughter. I'm sure she will hold onto these wonderful memories for years to come.

Cherdecor said...

What a great thing to do with your granddaughter. She looks really happy to be making cookies with her grandma. I don't think she will soon forget the lesson of giving you are teaching her. What a wonderful activity to do with her, Mari! Her hair is so pretty!

Kerin said...

Such a special day! How fun to spend time with your Grand and making cookies, and teaching her about service and giving :)

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!
See you in the new year :)

~K.

Terri said...

And they were delicious!

Anonymous said...

It's a joy to watch Alaina grow up. She looks so proud of helping you bake and deliver these cute reindeer. I know you enjoyed every minute with her.

LL Cool Joe said...

What a lovely thing to do, both the baking and then sharing the gifts with others. Wonderful.

Laura said...

You are such a good grandma. My heart just breaks thinking how blessed I am that Alaina has two sets of amazing grandparents that love her and spending time with her so much! :)