Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mystery Dinner Theater

We attended a Mystery Dinner Theater night with Laura and Aaron last week.  It was held in a restaurant in Grand Rapids, and the theme was set in the 20's.
When we bought the tickets for this, we had the option to spend an extra $20 to get a picture of ourselves and have seats closer to the action.  If you did this you were also more likely to be picked to be part of the show.  We didn't really want to be part of it though - we just wanted to eat our dinner and watch the show, and of course, try to solve the mystery!
The fake restaurant was named "Don Terry Bulls - a legitimate restaurant".  Being set in the 20's it really wasn't legitimate, but a cover for selling alcohol.  During the course of the evening there were 2 murders and lots of action!


Here's a picture that gives an idea of what it looked like.  You can see two of the actors at work.



They encouraged people to come dressed for the era.  I don't have any "flapper" outfits and the others at our table all came in normal attire.  This group had a few people that dressed up though - take note of the hats. This table was a group from a lawyers office and they were the ones who solved the mystery.



We had to collect clues and ask questions of others in the room throughout the night.  The girl in the hat with the name tag was one of the people taken from the audience to play a character during the night.




And here I am.  You remember that I told you we thought we would just eat supper and watch the action? Not so much!  Somehow, I ended up being picked to be a character too,  thus the hat and name tag.
My characters name was Sharon Gawsup.  I was a huge supporter of womens rights, and therefore worked fulltime as a reporter.  I was also having an affair with one of the people that was murdered.  It doesn't sound much like me - and had Bob, Laura and Aaron laughing.  However, as a reporter I had to be taking pictures of the action, so that was kind of fun.


This was a description in the book they gave me to use.
We had a fun night - and a good supper too.  And you'll be happy to hear that I was not the murderer!

18 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow that does sound like a lot of fun! So glad to hear that you weren't a criminal ;-)

Mari said...

FUN! Will have to remember this place for something fun and different to do someday!

Terri D said...

Mari, there is one of those places over in Tampa and it always sounded like fun, but I would NOT want to be chosen to participate. I'm a watcher! LOL What fun, though! You look fabulous in your hat, and that had to just be a blast! I loved hearing about this!!

Connie said...

I'm sure they could not have chosen a better photographer for the part. Sounds like fun.

Connie said...

I'm sure they could not have chosen a better photographer for the part. Sounds like fun.

Unknown said...

What fun! I wouldnt want to be chosen to be in the play, but would be fun to see it, and glad you werent the 'murderer'! Have a good Monday.

Anonymous said...

Whew! Glad you were not the murderer! Looks like a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed the evening.

Brooke said...

sounds like tons of fun!!! although being the murderer might have been more fun ;)

Nancy said...

Little did they know you are a photographer.....This sounds like so much fun. I have never been to one but would love to....

You are so cute in your hat....

Cheri said...

How fun and that's a super cute picture of you too by the way!

Pat said...

I want to hang out with your family, you have so much fun!
You look pretty spiffy in that hat!

Jenny said...

Well so much for type casting. YOU anything but a sweet lovely? NEVAH! But I'm glad you had a good time. I would not want to be picked as a character ...

Cherdecor said...

I agree with Cheri. That is a super cute picture of you.

Rebecca said...

What fun :)
I've only been to a very amateurish mystery dinner. It would take some convincing to get me back to another one - and I don't think they'd be able to talk me into a part!

I enjoyed reading about the cat in the vent, too. You've sure had some great adventures lately.

LL Cool Joe said...

Great photo of you and the hat suits you. I've attended an evening like this once and just prayed I wouldn't get picked on to play a part, but I did. :D

LL Cool Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LL Cool Joe said...

Sorry I've having issues with my computer at the moment, so hence the comments!

Sylvia said...

What fun - great picture of you Mari. Some friends of ours hosted a "murder, mystery" party a few years ago and I was the murderer. It was fun to act it out.Martin was the obsequious church minister in it, and parted his hair in the middle, plastered it down and wore some false protruding teeth.He looked horrendous.