Recently I had a lunch invitation that I have to share with you. It came from the son of a former patient. This lady was from Austria and was in a concentration camp at the end of WWII. Her whole family was killed. After the war she came to the United States and she often went to schools and spoke about what happened to her.
When she came to stay with us she had dementia. Her son put a US flag over her bed so when she woke up, she would remember that she was safe. She was with us for years, so we got to know her son well and I still hear from him occasionally. He was the director of the art department at the University here and traveled the world. In his travels he collected miniatures and has created the largest dollhouse I've ever seen. It's about to be moved from his house to be displayed in a museum in a nearby town, and after 6 months it will go to another museum.
So, another nurse and I went to his house, to see the dollhouse and to reminisce about his mom!
A ladder is on the other side so you can see into some of the top section.
It even has its own hot air balloon!
The church
A kitchen
Dining area, serving a feast
There is even an old hospital room!
This little section is kid friendly for his 2 granddaughters to play with
We had a lovely lunch and enjoyed the view of the city from the patio. It was nice to catch up.













Dear Mari, what a beautiful view in your last photo! Wow, I absolutely love the library and the dollhouse! That Austrian lady sounds like a wonderful person! I think it is so sweet that her son put a U.S. flag over her bed when she had dementia. Bless his heart! Yes, concentration camp survivors need to remember they are safe after the horrific experiences they endured! I am sure many of them had nightmares for almost as long as they lived after such an ordeal!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing this story and for your lovely photos here.
Oh my GOSH!!!! This is amazing! I always wanted a dollhouse as a child This is so artistic and the items and the details. I love the tiny mouse people, the mouse bride. The stained glass in the church and the wall hangings that looks like old Renaissance!!! Thank you, this is so wonderful! He is so talented!
ReplyDeleteThe book lined walls are just fabulous! It is my dream house. And then the dollhouses - oh my gosh. I am such a fan of miniatures and what a fantastic display! I am glad that he is sending it to museums for everyone to enjoy. What a labor of love!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, it's so beautiful Mari! Both the library and the doll house. How lovely to meet like this over lunch.
ReplyDeleteGreat post about a great destination.
ReplyDeleteI admired the red carpets between the bookshelves.
The dollhouse is awesome! And the hot air balloon.
Thank you for sharing, Mari.
Oh my goodness, Mari! You sure hooked me with the title about the dollhouse! And of course the Library is lovely too, but that dollhouse is amazing! I love how he used mice for the people...they make really cute characters for each scene! So many details! I could just stay there and study that for a while!!! I love it! Wow! Makes my little Pamela's Victorian Cottage look teeny tiny in comparison! What fun he had putting that together! What a lot of work! And how amazing to hear about his mother who survived the concentration camp and went on to have a family and live so long, even though she had dementia in her latter years. I love that her son was so devoted to her even then. Thank you for sharing this today. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and wish I could get closer to that dollhouse and inspect every detail! I'm just a big kid at heart! LOL.
ReplyDeleteMy heart just smiled. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThat is a gorgeous library, and the doll house is amazing. What a fascinating story about the woman.
ReplyDeleteAww! That is so sweet about her son putting the US flag over her bed. Wow, what a beautiful home! The library is stunning and that dolls house is something special!
ReplyDeleteI don't quite know how to express in words the impact this post had on me, Mari. The man's mother's story is one I wish I could have heard, even though I realize that it would have been hard to hear of the mistreatment. And then the son's care for his mother...even though she came to your facility as a patient with dementia what a thoughtful and kind thing he did by hanging that American flag where she could see it and not be frightened by thinking that she was back in the concentration camp.
ReplyDeleteThe doll house is quite an exhibit and it's so neat that it is going to be moved from museum to museum. Very fun!
One can definitely tell that the son loves art. It comes out in his decorating style as well. I loved the view of his living room/sitting area....all of the different colors and patterns.
And that library! Oh. My. Goodness! I could get lost for years in it!
I'm so glad that he still keeps in touch and that you occasionally get together. A woman as precious as his mother should definitely have people getting together to reminisce about her. What a trooper she must have been!
I've never seen anything to match this, Mari. Wow! Thanks for the amazing tour of the intricate doll house.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a story this friend's Mom went through. I can't even imagine. I think it's so cool that you have stayed in touch. And what an amazing visit! That room full of books is an absolute dream! And that doll house speaks to my inner child so much. I LIVED for dolls, dollhouses, barbies etc as a young one. This house is especially whimsical and fun. π Thanks for sharing dear Mari. πππ
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful he donated the dollhouse and what a wonderful one it is. I use to visit the bookstore in the town I first worked in. It was magical. Alas it is no longer there. Janice
ReplyDeleteOh Mari...what an awesome opportunity for you to be able to see this in person. It is beautiful and so precise with everything you can think of being in the house.. I really appreciate you sharing this with us..
ReplyDeleteWow, wow, wow ... what a fantastic doll house ... in fact his whole house is quite amazing. How wonderful to care for his mother all those years and that the son was forever grateful for your compassion.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing this with us.
Sue
I enjoyed these photos of a unique home. What aa tragic story at the beginning, yet ending well. And your love and kindness expressed to her.
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible story of your dear late friend and her son's amazing creation, I can't even imagine the hours of work! Incredible! Thank you for sharing with us. Truly a remarkable day for you!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is a really cool doll house! I'm glad you got to visit!
ReplyDeleteWonderful that you have stayed in touch and that dollhouse....wow! What a piece of art.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful library!!
ReplyDeleteWow the doll house is fabulous!!!
Wow! Truly amazing.
ReplyDeleteSo lovely that you have stayed in touch too.
All the best Jan
Mari, it is so good to see you back. I have messed my blog up by trying to change emails. I followed you (S) - but I do not have a photo attached yet. This is still Sandie/Chatty Crone.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I have always been heartbroken for the Jewish people in WW2. Awful. She seemed like a beautiful lady. I loved the doll house - my mom had a gorgeous doll house - but not like this. The library was fantastic. Love, sandie
Okay...... I want to go have lunch with him now and see his library and that dollhouse! LOL! Wow... how fantastic.
ReplyDeleteHi Mary, that was amazing! That is nice that it will be in museums for people to enjoy. Thanks for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteI simply cannot. It's too marvelous! The books, the doll house! Just magnificent. What a happy experience for you!!! xoxo π΄☠️
ReplyDeleteThat sounds s so interesting!! What a collection. So wonderful it is going on display.
ReplyDeleteCathy
I’m in awe, Mari.
ReplyDeleteThe detail and artistry in that dollhouse are unmatched.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful visit.
I am so late getting here!! That library is amazing, and then we get to see the doll house (doll WORLD)!! What will he do with all the space in his living room/library when that all goes to a museum? What a project that has beend!! And how sweet that he stays in touch and you got to see it before anyone else!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteJust, Oh Wow! What I would have given, as a little girl, to play in that room!! Just wonderful!
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
That dollhouse is amazing! As someone who had/ has a dollhouse and the same mouse inhabitants, the attention to detail really made me smile. I also love the story about the flag on his mother's bed. What a sweet and thoughtful way to reassure her. I think the fact that he stays in touch is a testament to the wonderful care she received at your hand...knowing you, and your warm personality, it's something I totally understand! ❤️
ReplyDeleteThey are soooo cute and love the library.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful library and what a beautiful doll house!
ReplyDeleteDid he build the dollhouse himself and then furnish it with the miniatures? It is truly amazing. I've never seen anything like that. And the library is also impressive.
ReplyDeleteI did not know you are a nurse. How wonderful that is. that doll house is most amazing. wow! I don't see how they will get it moved without harm. I could spend weeks in that one room. I love the hospital bed.. I have always loved miniature things, like furniture for doll houses. amazing
ReplyDeleteThe dollhouse is lovely! How detailed and beautiful! I love all the little flags!! And what a beautiful story about his mother :) What a blessing is is that God crosses our paths with remarcable people!
ReplyDelete