Pages

▼

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Artprize

Grand Rapids has a fun event that's been happening every Fall since 2009.  It's called ArtPrize and I've been able to take part in it for most of those years. It's an international art competition that lasts for about 2 weeks and brings close to 1 million people into the city. There are art pieces installed all over the city. Many of them are outside, but they are also in hotels, banks, a performance center...  This year there are over 1000 art entries in 150 venues.  People can vote for the pieces they like the best and the artists get various prizes.  Some pieces are purchased and stay in the city.

Last week Bob and I spent a day downtown, walking all over and checking out some of the art.  It's impossible to see it all!
Here's just a few of the pieces we saw.


It was a beautiful sunny day, temperature was 72 degrees.  Here's a little view of Grand Rapids and a sculpture/fountain that was along our walkway.





This bottle is about 4 feet tall, made of corks to commemorate the USA's 250th birthday. The artist said each cork has its own stains and stories, they come from many countries and are put together to form something beautiful, just like the country.





This motorcycle was made by the man standing behind it, it looks like a steampunk sculpture, but it's actually a working cycle and he drives it all over.




Paintings; That train looks like a photo, but someone actually painted it.





This is one of the most unique things we saw.  It covered a whole hall.  This person painted every single thing she ate for the whole year of 2025.  Can you imagine? 





This is the Mackinac Bridge made out of K'nex.







This artist had 5 of these different Mandala's all made of binder clips. This one used 1365 clips to make this one piece.




This first one is a pencil drawing. The second is ink, but is done with only one line, from beginning to end.





A wooden sculpture of sand hill cranes. This was about 4 feet tall.







This is a dragon made of drift wood.






Can you believe this is an art entry?  An upside down car!  Art is in the eye of the beholder they say.  I don't call this art though...




I think this is art too.  This is one of my favorite spots in the city, where an old building is reflected on a new one.







A photo from one of the bridges over the Grand River.







We ended our day by taking the promenade walk along the river.






There was more art along the river walk.



















One last view across the river.

It was a good time, enjoying the art and walking in the city.

24 comments:

  1. Dear Mari, beautiful photos of your walk. And the art pieces are amazing. I don't like the upside down car, but so many of these pieces I love πŸ’—
    I can say that I love every single one except for the car.
    And imagine painting every meal you ate for an entire year.
    I absolutely love these pieces. Real works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the art...
    It would be truly impressive to see a motorcycle like that on the road! It’s also amazing that someone spent a whole year painting everything they ate...
    Your photos are lovely too—
    thanks for the beautiful outing, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine how much fun this would be! Does the city have a map? Maybe you will be seeing more from time to time. The most beautiful is the cranes. The one line drawing is amazing! The motorcycle is amazing; I am showing it to Phil. He used to own quite a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Absolutely amazing.
    rkrsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. All is beautiful but I agree with you for the car! You had very nice weather here we will have rain the whole week but we are happy 😊 we had no rain since May.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! So many interesting and unusual and beautiful works of art! The upside down car is certainly unusual. I guess the "artist" thought the rusty bottom of the car would be considered art! To each his own! So many others were definitely "works of art". Love the Sand Hill Cranes, of course! And I can't imagine painting every meal I ate for a year. That's pretty funny. I'm surprised they gave her that much space to display her "art" project. LOL. I enjoyed seeing your photos of your walk around the city and the river walk. That was all so beautiful! You live in a very pretty area! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those displays were among the most unique I've ever seen, Mari. I can't imagine drawing everything I'd eaten for the year! Your photos are lovely and truly capture each scene wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love all of the artwork. This kind of art has always been my favorite type. I love the drawings of what she ate for a year. That is incredible. The wine bottle is too. Actually, everything is really awesome. Well, I'm with you and don't understand the upside-down car. It looks like you had a beautiful day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those art pieces are so amazing. I had a friend whose husband use to participate in this each year. He was a really good painter. I could not imagine painting what I ate each day for a year. I agree with the upside down car. Not art to me...but the others are amazing. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that your city does this each year!! What a special way for artists to get their work seen and for thousands of people to enjoy art of all kinds. Please let us know who the winners are!! And thanks for sharing this each year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so amazed by the talents of so many different artist. Can you imagine recording and drawing everything you ate for a year? I think artist have some really great imaginations and they bring them to life. I know you both enjoyed this festival and sounds like you got in plenty of exercise...Thanks for sharing Mari..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the motorcycle. Wouldn't mind taking a ride on that myself. And, the cork bottle. I hope whomever made that didn't drink all that wine just to get the corks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK this blows me away every single year. I sat here thinking, next year I'm going to drive up there and Mari, Bob, TG, and I are going to do this together. See if I don't!!!! My favorites are the We The People cork bottle, the paintings of what the artist ate all year, and the driftwood dragon. I also love the building's reflection, and I think the upside-down car is RIDICULOUS. Honestly let's not dumb this world down any more than we already have πŸ™„ xoxo 🏴‍☠️

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy art shows and exhibits and all the creative interpretations of art. I'm sure many car buffs, probably liked the upside-down car. To each his own, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful city! And the art is gorgeous as well! I loved the picture of the train! I can't believe how real it looks! I agree, after you see all the art that people put so much time and talent into, the car seems silly. It didn't take much time to do that, unlike all the other ones that you saw!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing event!! The works of art are stunning. That motorcycle blew my mind that he rides it all over. How cool is that? And I would have been fascinated to see that display of everything she ate over the year. What if she had leftovers one night? Lol And the city pics were just as beautiful!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a fantastic event and the art is brilliant. I love that motorcycle and the one with all of the food looks so interesting. It really is great how many different and unique pieces there were.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing such amazing pieces of art. The bottle made of corks and its description is wonderful. I could rave over so many that you pictured.
    Was wondering if your talented husband ever entered his creative carvings in the show?
    Such beautiful scenery too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing event! So many different mediums and so many wonderful objects! I would be awestruck at all the talent! What a wonderful way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful to see all the different art work and what a beautiful day for walking around. One of my favorites is the train!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks and sounds an amazing event.
    I like the dragon made from drift wood (he looks quite friendly).
    The wooden sculpture of sand hill cranes is amazing.
    Everything you've shared looks great.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is some fantastic art! The talent and imagination of these artists always amazes me! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The variety of art is incredible. I agree, that car is not art! lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's all so beautiful Mari. I'm always so impressed by people's creativity and the things they can make!

    ReplyDelete

My blog is award free and tag free - but I love your comments!