Day 3 of our trip was filled with more adventures. In Lake Superior, 1/2 mile from the shore of Munising, is Grand Island, a 13,500 acre island which is part of the National Park Service. It's a rustic and remote area with no permanent residents, it has no modern amenities and can only be reached by ferry service. It has 41 miles of trails, is home to deer and black bears and so much natural beauty.
We heard about a bus tour that the Park service runs on the island and decided to take advantage of it.
We took the ferry to the island and then got on a small bus with 8 other people. The tour driver was a lady in her 70's who used to be a school bus driver. She was full of fun and information!
There are 4 spots on the island that you can pump water from artesian wells. It was cold and good for drinking.
We were able to tour this lodge. It was built when Teddy Roosevelt was president. The owner was a wealthy man who started a wild animal preserve on the island. He had a lot of exotic animals there and people would come and stay at this lodge.
A cute little mushroom seen along the way.
This is where we ended up, such a beautiful view from up high.
Then it was time to get back on the bus and go to the ferry to be taken back to the mainland. We totally enjoyed ourselves on this island.
When we got back, we wandered around town for a bit.
They have these arty bikes scattered through town. The DDA stands for Downtown Development Authority.
Here's a few of the fun murals we saw as we walked around.
What a fun day!























Dear Mari, the murals are pretty. The lady driver of your shuttle bus sounds delightful. Beautiful photos, dear friend. Lovely views. I like the arty bike. William Mather does look dapper.
ReplyDeleteHi Mari, I enjoyed all your pictures. My heart long for nature. This is the city girl with a country heart. Enjoy the rest of your week!
ReplyDeleteWow! What an adventure you had on that island! Such breathtaking views and that cemetery is so special. I love it that there are still flags put on the graves there.
ReplyDeleteOh, Mari, that all sounds so wonderful! I would LOVE that. And that old Lodge really looks interesting! I love the kitchen! You saw some wonderful scenery on this trip. I'm so glad you are sharing it with us!! makes me want to go!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like another great day for you two. What an awesome history about the island. I'm sure it was so much fun to see.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing place and history, Mari! Thanks so much for taking us along on this adventure.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteYour island sounds so delightful and your tour driver sounds like a great guide! I really enjoyed all the photos. What a special place! This getaway just gets better and better!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome trip this was. Ferry ride and bus tour. Yes please. It all looked so wonderful. What history we have. Janice
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that picture was underwater! Wow, how clear it is. I love that everywhere you've gone there have been organized excursions offered either on boats or buses. I love that, I think it takes the guesswork out of sightseeing. How fun to just show up and hop aboard!!
ReplyDeleteI would never have known that the rocks were covered with water. This is CLEAR!! Each photo, each scene is so very pretty. don't you just love having a picnic on a nice sunny day..
ReplyDeleteYou always find the neatest places! Of course I have never heard of this place. the lodge looks very well taken care of. It must have been really something in it's day. Both Mather and his wife were totally stylish; I would never have associated them with a wild animal place!! Amazing clear water, did you drink from the well pump?
ReplyDeleteOh, this would have been my kind of day ...
ReplyDeleteNew scenery and everything so rustic.
Looks like plenty of great hiking trails and I love that old water pump. Love the photos !!!
Sue
What a beautiful day!!! Pictures are great.
ReplyDeleteRegarding your bus driver, anybody who can survive driving a school bus has got to have great skill and nerves of steel!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful day spent in such splendid beauty.
This is the type of hike/exploration I like! You took some great shots.
ReplyDeleteI had to ask Google how to pronounce Munising. What an interesting place to explore, and that island is amazing. An island on a lake, with a lake on the island. I wonder how many islands in a lake, have a lake on the island?!! You and Bob do find the best places to visit!! Thanks for taking us along! xo
ReplyDeleteWow beautiful area. You always take such nice photos. Truly breathtaking!
ReplyDeleteHiking is my preferable way to enjoy the great outdoors. I'm not able to keep up my my husband or my sons - bad knees. Too many hikes in my younger days I guess but I still can do the easy ones. We went on a hike today. 😊
All I can think about is how cold it's going to be there in a couple of months, hahaa! Can you imagine? But that cemetery is just so wonderful. You know that's my favorite part xoxo 🏴☠️
ReplyDeleteWhen we were in Munising we walked around town and on the marina a lot! We stayed in an air B n B over a bar! We have never been to the island before though! So beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAre those bikes there for people to borrow for riding around the town?
ReplyDeleteThe island is so pretty. I would never have guessed that picture of the rocks was under water.. It is so crystal clear.
Such a good visit and nice to be able to pump water from artesian wells... I'm sure it tasted great.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan